Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Data Export Services replacement questions (MS Dynamics >> Azure SQL Server >> PBI)

Hi all,
In my organisation our transcational system is MS Dynamics 365. We use Data Export Services to make data available for our Power BI reporting. For instance, our flow is:
Dynamics 365  >>  Data Export Services moves data to an Azure SQL Server database  >>  SQL Views are created  >>  Power BI.

I understand MS have decided to decommission Data Export Services (DES). I understand the replacement will be 'Synapse Link for Dataverse'. I have no understanding of this Synapse Link for Dataverse and how it can be used with our current D365 to PBI flow.

I would like to ask if anyone is in the same situation as my organisation (DES being decommissioned) and what you are doing/implementing in its place?
Ideally, the mechanism that moves data from our Dynamics 365 solution to the Azure SQL database can change providing the tables, and their structure, in the Azure SQL database remain the same. I need them to remain the same as the SQL Views, that feed the PBI reporting, is built upon the Azure SQL database structure that is created by DES.

My concern is, if any replacement for DES doesn't create SQL tables the exact same as DES did then the SQL Views wouldn't function - which means all the PBI reporting, which is fed by the SQL Views, would no longer work.

Any guidance or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors