Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hyldal

Dashboard tiles don't automatically update when updated report is published

I'm publishing report from Power BI Desktop after new month is chosen. The report is updated correctly in Power BI App but the data in tiles on Dashboard show data from old report. I have to make new tiles in dashboard in order to show new sales numbers. I connect via gateway to my cube in data warehouse. Please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Hyldal Tiles in dashboard are the snapshot of your data. Say for example first time you've published report from power bi desktop to service and then pinned tile from that report that shows total sales for month of august to dashboard then if total sales for month of august changes then tile would have updated number but if in the report you filter out some data or change month from august to september in slicer to then tile in dashboard would still continue to show august total sales amount.

View solution in original post

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hyldal,

In Power BI Service, if original visualization used to create the tile changes, the tile doesn't change. In your scenario, since you republished the report, the change of report will not reflect to the dashboard tile. Please see: Dashboard tiles in Power BI.

To work around the issue, I would suggest you create a report with required visuals in one report page, and publish the report to service. Then pin an entire report page via "Pin a live page" feature to a dashboard. Because pin live page enables changes to reports to appear in the dashboard tile when the page is refreshed. For more information, please refer to this article: Pin an entire report page, as a live tile, to a Power BI dashboard.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
adleh
Frequent Visitor

Any update on this one?

willayd
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is very limiting behavior for managing Power BI alerts. Hoping this idea can be upvoted:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=bed68dd4-1016-4bc6-8dd9-00d34440d21d

WilliamDaisy89
Frequent Visitor

Hi all, 

This feature now works as expected:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data

Thanks 

William

The tile refresh option is now available..but in my case my tiles on my dashboard are connected to a report that have slicers.  When i change the slicer to another month and go back to the dashboard and "refresh tiles" they do not update to the month that was selected.  Is this included in the tile refresh?  How do we handle that?

Tile refresh

Tile refresh updates the cache for tile visuals, on the dashboard, once data changes. This happens about every fifteen minutes. You can also force a tile refresh by selecting the ellipsis (...) in the upper right of a dashboard and selecting Refresh dashboard tiles.

For details around common tile refresh errors, see Troubleshooting tile errors.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I am wondering if anyone has been able to resolve this issue?

Monthly I need to re-create visuals in my dashboard to track monthly sales.  Very annoying.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hyldal,

In Power BI Service, if original visualization used to create the tile changes, the tile doesn't change. In your scenario, since you republished the report, the change of report will not reflect to the dashboard tile. Please see: Dashboard tiles in Power BI.

To work around the issue, I would suggest you create a report with required visuals in one report page, and publish the report to service. Then pin an entire report page via "Pin a live page" feature to a dashboard. Because pin live page enables changes to reports to appear in the dashboard tile when the page is refreshed. For more information, please refer to this article: Pin an entire report page, as a live tile, to a Power BI dashboard.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Pinning the entire page is a hack and it creates many other problems. I am shocked this problem has been around at least a year and a half.

Microsoft is flinging out random stuff every month (or more frequently) with Power BI without thinking and without adequate testing. This product is EXTREMELY buggy and frustrating

"Pinning the entire page is a hack and it creates many other problems. I am shocked this problem has been around at least a year and a half."

Make that THREE and a half years!

Is there any plan to update automatically components pinned to dashboards?

Pinning entire pages is not always a viable solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating dashboard tiles with the current report data is NEEDED functionality.  Once the visual is pinned to the dashboard the dashboard item should reflect the underlying visual, in it's current state.

Please tell me the Power BI development team is working on it. Having the dashboard "snapshot" updating as long as the report slicer value does not change but then stops updating when the slicer value changes is not a viable solution to providing actionable data efficently.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you want to create alerts on KPI tiles, you need these tiles to be pinned separately (Not as part of a whole page), but then those KPI tiels are not refreshed with their source report. Any other way to create alerts on KPIs and keep those KPIs refreshed in the dashboard?

Hello, Any update on this item? Thank you Smiley Happy

Any progress on this?

It really impacts the usefulness of the dashboard feature.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Hyldal Tiles in dashboard are the snapshot of your data. Say for example first time you've published report from power bi desktop to service and then pinned tile from that report that shows total sales for month of august to dashboard then if total sales for month of august changes then tile would have updated number but if in the report you filter out some data or change month from august to september in slicer to then tile in dashboard would still continue to show august total sales amount.

Hyldal

I'm publishing report from Power BI Desktop after new month is chosen. The report is updated correctly in Power BI App but the data in tiles on Dashboard show data from old report. I have to make new tiles in dashboard in order to show new sales numbers. I connect via gateway to my cube in data warehouse. Please help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors