Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Barry1

Dashboard pinned report showing old data

Hello

I am currently updating my datasets through the scheduled refresh (gateway states it is working fine), from my computer (synced to OneDrive for Business)

I update the excel files on OneDrive/synced folder well before the scheduled refresh, then the scheduled refresh occurs and I dont get any failed statuses (states sucessful run date/time).

I open a report in the service and refresh, no visuals in the report change.

I go back and open the .pbix in desktop, refresh the data and it the visuals update with the correct data.

I then publish the file, selecting yes when it asks if i want to overwrite.

I open the report in the service and hit refresh, the visuals now update with the correct data.

I click away from the report, then come back to the report, now it is showing old data and no refresh is updating the visuals.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a limit to the refresh? Or am I not processing correctly.

I currently have 4 datasets refreshing daily. Also when desktop asks if i want to overwrite the dataset, I say yes, and the dataset states a current date/time update.

Thanks

Barry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Barry1 I understand the confusion here, I've experianced similiar things. There are several things to keep in mind. Unless you have a premium license, you are on shared hardware with other Power BI users. This means that typically your refresh is going to be delayed a bit. In fact, even the documentation around scheduled refresh outlines that the goal is to refresh within the hour scheduled. On top of this, there is caching that is done to some degree in the Service and I've seen some odd behaviour periodically like this.

My suggestion would be to give it a little time, if the refresh doesn't occur within the hour then it could be an issue. But don't expect an instant anything. To add, if you keep nailing refresh my understanding is that regardless of whether a refresh is scheduled or manual you get 8x per day... Hope that helps a bit.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Barry1 I understand the confusion here, I've experianced similiar things. There are several things to keep in mind. Unless you have a premium license, you are on shared hardware with other Power BI users. This means that typically your refresh is going to be delayed a bit. In fact, even the documentation around scheduled refresh outlines that the goal is to refresh within the hour scheduled. On top of this, there is caching that is done to some degree in the Service and I've seen some odd behaviour periodically like this.

My suggestion would be to give it a little time, if the refresh doesn't occur within the hour then it could be an issue. But don't expect an instant anything. To add, if you keep nailing refresh my understanding is that regardless of whether a refresh is scheduled or manual you get 8x per day... Hope that helps a bit.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

So i have explored this further using your advice, I think with the 8 uploads, non premium roll out, the caching and some admin defaults the organisation has set on our laptops, I think we are always going to be issues with using the personal gateway. We are pushing for a premium roll out now as this sounds like the best solution.

Thanks for your help @Seth_C_Bauer

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer

I have been waiting throughout the day but no changes, i will try and perform this again tomorrow and see if i have in fact destroyed the refresh button.

Appreciate the response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors