Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

sy9th
Regular Visitor

Dashboard on SharePoint

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Power BI and I would like to get some help in what I'm required to do.

My task is to create a dashboard on a comapny SharePoint that will display Food and Beverage statistics. As the reports from the POS system are presented and saved in an Excel they are useful for creating visuals but I have encountered few problems so far. As the reports from POS are cluttered with information on a different levels I have to spend lots of time to tidy them and sometimes split them into smaller tables. Is there a way to deal with tables with data on different levels that can be used by Power BI? Bwlow there is an example of the report from POS.

Capture.PNG

My second question is regarding refreshing data. The POS system can generate and export files to the specific locations on local drive or to OneDrive but it will overwrite the file that it was used previously in the report. If the file with data used to create a report in Power BI is overwritten, but it contains the same set of tables but with different values, can it be used and read data from the file and update the values in the report?

Thanks.  

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The Power Query editor is very powerful and should be able to import your data as you want but we'll need a little more to go on than just the source data. We would also need what you want to end up with.

Incremental load is part of Power BI Premium but not sure if that is out yet. Otherwise, your data would be overwritten with the new data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors