Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Agata
Regular Visitor

Dashboard on Power Bi Services based on pbix file stored on local server

Dear User,

I have created report in my Power Bi Desktop with multiple data sources ( excel or csv files).

PBIX file along with the source files are stored on organizational file share server.

If I use the pbix file to create the dashboard in Power BI services , will I have to create on-premise gateway in order to refresh the dashboard?

And if so, should I set it to connect only to PBIX file or Pbix file and all data sources?

And also if  share the dashboard, will others be able to refresh it?

If on-premise gateway is not the way to go for me, could you plese send any suggestions how should I proceed ?

Thank You!

Agata

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Agata,

You can directly connect to the PBIX file in Power BI Service using Get Data->Files->SharePoint option, then create dashboard for the report in Power BI Service. And you can set schedule refresh for your dataset, this way, once you change data in Excel file, Power BI report will automatically get updated in Power BI Service.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Agata,

Where do you store Excel or CSV files? If you store these files in local server, on-premises gateway is required. You would need to add the Excel and CSV data sources within the configured gateway. PBIX file does not require to be added within gateway.

After you set schedule refresh for your dataset with gateway and share the dashboard to other users, the users will get updated data in the dashboard based on refresh schedule. They can only view the dashboard, but not able to refresh it by themselves.

Regards,

Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Lydia ,

Many Thanks for prompt response.

All files are stored on local server at the minute, but we are considering different solutions.

And let say I would like to store source files and pbix file on Share Point Site ,

how do I create Dashbord in Power BI Service based on that pbix file? do I have to connect from Power Bi service to ONLY pbix file or all the source files too?

And if I store all files on Share Point will the Dashbord be refreshed automatically?

Kind Regards,

Agata

@Agata,

You can directly connect to the PBIX file in Power BI Service using Get Data->Files->SharePoint option, then create dashboard for the report in Power BI Service. And you can set schedule refresh for your dataset, this way, once you change data in Excel file, Power BI report will automatically get updated in Power BI Service.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors