Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

DB2 error: SQL0204N...is an undefined name

I'm trying to connect to an IBM DB2 database on z/OS using the IBM driver (the Microsoft driver requires a package collection to be specified whose value I am unaware of). If I select "Navigate using full hierarchy" then I get the following error:

SQL0204N  "SYSCAT.SCHEMATA" is an undefined name

If I do not select "Navigate using full hierarchy" then I can see all the tables in the Navigator (major breakthrough for me) but when I choose any table I get the following error:

SQL0204N  "SYSCAT.COLUMNS" is an undefined name

It feels like I'm so close to success. Can anyone help me overcome this? Thanks so much!!!

11 REPLIES 11
tyokokokok2
Regular Visitor

I feel your pain.

I too am confused and stymied by this error message.

Jeick
Frequent Visitor

@robarivas 

@Potsie 

For people that still get this error when trying to connect via IBM Driver…

"IBM DB2: ERROR [08001] [IBM] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "SSL". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "SOCKETS". Communication function detecting the error: "sqlccSSLSocketSetup". Protocol specific error code(s): "410", "", "". SQLSTATE=08001"

My solution was manually disabling encryption for my Data Source in Power BI which resulted in another error message:

"An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The type initializer for 'Microsoft.HostIntegration.Common.TelemetryCLient' threw an exception.'"

This error only seems to occur when Microsoft’s DB2 OLEDB driver is installed on the same system as Power BI Desktop. For people who don’t have this driver installed step 1 might already fix the error.

For a fix/workaround of the second error look at the last posts in this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/DB2-support-Default-driver-not-working/idi-p/715435

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @robarivas

I am able to connect to IBM db2 database in the latest version of Power BI Desktop using both IBM driver and Microsoft Driver.

In your scenario, do you encrypt the connection between IBM and client using SSL? If so, ensure that you have configured these settings described in this article.  In addition, are you able to connect to your IBM DB2 database from IBM data studio? Please make sure that IBM data studio is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft. Thank you for your response. Are you confirming that you've successfully connected to a DB2 database on z/OS specifically? One of my concerns is that the Power BI DB2 connector might be for a different "flavor" of DB2 (like "LUW").

I do not know if I encrypt the connection. If I do it is not intentional. Is there a way I can configure something so as to prevent SSL encryption?

I did try Data Studio and it did connect to the database sucessfully. However, it did nothing as far as I could tell to help with my Power BI connectivity issue.

Hi @robarivas,

I connect to IBM DB2 for Windows. I would recommend you contact IBM support about that how you prevent SSL encryption.

By the way, do you install the Data Studio on the same machine that installing Power BI Desktop?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks again for the response @v-yuezhe-msft. That's great that you can successfully connect to DB2 for Windows. However, my issue is connecting to DB2 (using Power BI's built-in DB2 connector) on z/OS specifically. It seems like connecting to this kind of DB2 may be totally different. Is there anyway for Microsoft to test a connection to DB2 z/OS and let me know whether it works and, if so, what were the exact steps/configurations/etc. needed to make it work? 

Alternatively, are there any current Microsoft clients that are succefully connecting Power BI to DB2 z/OS that you can refer me to so that my IT department can reach out to them?

As for Data Studio, yes it was installed on the same machine I'm using for Power BI. Again, I'm not clear how Data Studio might help.

Thank you.

Hi @robarivas,

I have no test enviorment for IBM on z/OS.

What is the error message do you get when choosing "Microsoft Driver" to connect to your database?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft. Below is the error message I receive using the Microsoft driver:

Details: "Microsoft Db2 Client: The package corresponding to an SQL statement execution request was not found. SQLSTATE=51002 SQLCODE=-805"

Did you find a solution to this problem? I too am trying to connect to zOS DB2.

Hi @Potsie
My DBA team did something that made it so that I can connect using the Microsoft (not IBM) option. Unfortunately I don't know what they did differently to get the Microsoft option to work. It's also strange to me that the IBM option still doesn't work. Also, I've found that just connecting with ODBC seems to perform the same as far as I can tell.
robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Update: now, for unknown reason, I cannot even see the tables anymore. Instead I get the following message when I try to connect with the IBM driver:

"IBM DB2: ERROR [08001] [IBM] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "SSL". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "SOCKETS". Communication function detecting the error: "sqlccSSLSocketSetup". Protocol specific error code(s): "410", "", "". SQLSTATE=08001"

Hopefully this message in a bottle ends up "onshore" and someone responds. But it seems lately that hasn't been happening anymore. Has something about the nature of the Power BI community forum changed? Or is my problem so esoteric that nobody (not even Microsoft) has any thoughts and/or inclination to respond/assist?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors