Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WalkerGBG
Frequent Visitor

DAX Column Error - "String Store or binary store with a compatibility level of '1050' after loading

Hi

Searched lots on Google and can see this mentioned but not in relation to PowerBI so wondering how spectacularly I've broken it.

I have a DataFlow that pulls in Daily (using Incremental refresh) 3 months worth of data from daily flat files.  There's more than a few Hundred thousand rows in every file.  This works and updates itself daily.

I pull that into PowerBI desktop and up to know has worked, no issues.

I think maybe because the volume of rows in the file is increasing per file that this might be a capacity issue.  

I refresh the PowerBI desktop (I'm doing it there to get it all up to date and then I'll publish it and set up scheduled updates) and after the refresh of data happens I have all my data in there.  However, in the table that imported all that Data I have a few columns that do 'stuff' with DAX for each row.  One column is now showing this error when I look at it using the DATA view of PowerBI Desktop

A string store or binary store with a compatibility level of '1050' is at the maximum file size of 4 gigabytes. To store additional strings, you can change the StringStoresCompatibilityLevel property of the associated dimension or distinct count measure to '1100' and reprocess. This option is only available on databases with a compatibility level of '1100' or higher. Physical file:. Logical file:.

The DAX is just doing this 

SumXScore = Calculate (SUM('Transactions (2)'[Score]), FILTER('Transactions (2)','Transactions (2)'[AuthItem]=EARLIER('Transactions (2)'[AuthItem])))
Basically looking for transactions with the Same AUTHITEM and SUMming up SCORE - so that each row of the table where that AUTHITEM appears has that SUMmed score.  
Going on from that the SumXScore is used to work other stuff out - another 4 columns.  And as they rely upon this column they are all showing error but basically stating "I can't do what you want as the column I need has an error"

Has anyone ever seen that error message above an any idea how to deal with it?  
As it states 4GB I wonder if this is related to the PowerBI Desktop OPTIONS (In Options, Global, Data Load, Data Cache Management Options, Maximum Allowed = 4096Mb

Using PowerBI PPU - DataFlow and the Published report will be in PPU.

Any ideas on this would really be appreciated. 
8 REPLIES 8
WalkerGBG
Frequent Visitor

Alas not fixed

I have just ran into this problem of yours... Same exact message after creating a summary dax table of a very large data table.

It's very frustrating.  The computer has tons of memory available, and all power BI settings are good.

My Power BI desktop is updated.

Walker,

If I find a solution, I'll come back here.

Abubu
Regular Visitor

Walker,

Does your Power BI File have any sort of connection with a SQL Database?  Even though you are currently using Desktop, and the data isn't from a SQL Database... HOWEVER, is there any connection elsewhere in your file or dataflow?

I have not solved anything yet, it's just that it appears the issue stems from the way strings are stored in a SQL Database.  I personally am not dealing with a SQL Database directly, however, some of the associated data comes from a SQL Server, and somehow, perhaps the SQL server is doing some of the calculations, even though I had assumed it was all upstream, and not relevant.

Here is the Microsoft Doc I am trying to pick apart:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/multidimensional-models/configure-string-storage...

It appears that a setting or parameter can be changed in the SQL Server to allow for larger strings.  Whatever that means. 🙂

Here's hoping!!

Ram107568
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

Is this issue resolved? If so how is it done. I am facing this weird issue.

Thanks,

Ramya

WalkerGBG
Frequent Visitor

Hi - wondering if anyone could help on this one please?  Thanks for looking at it but still a blocker so would appreciate any ideas.  

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The first thing I'd check is to make sure you don't have a really old version of Power BI Desktop. File > About should show what version you're on.

I've seen people having this issue with SSAS but not with Power BI Desktop.

Thanks @AlexisOlson - alas can't be that.  Download/Update every time new version comes out.  The Google searches I did only showed SSAS entries so I'm stumped as to why PowerBI showing this

Thanks @AlexisOlson - alas can't be that.  Download/Update every time new version comes out.  The Google searches I did only showed SSAS entries so I'm stumped as to why PowerBI showing this

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors