Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

slackerhx
Helper II
Helper II

Custom function with rest API - Expand nested tables in columns

Hi All, 

I'm currently using Baidu maps distance lite API to estimate the shortest travel time for each Origin to Destination, where the Origin and Destination will change dynamically. 

I am trying to achieve as per the screenshot below when one adds column by "Invoke Custom Function" to the source table.

From this: 

Before.PNG

To this: 

after.PNG

the current m code that i have is :

(Origin as text, Destination as text) =>

let 
    Baidu_API_key = "XXXX",
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("http://api.map.baidu.com/directionlite/v1/transit?origin="&Origin&"&destination="&Destination&"&ak="&Baidu_API_key)),
    #"Results" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Table.FromList(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(Source,"result")),Splitter.SplitByNothing(),null,null,ExtraValues.Error),"Column1", {"origin", "destination", "routes", "taxi"}),
    #"Routes" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.SelectColumns(#"Results","routes"),"routes"),
    #"Shortest travel" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Routes", "routes", {"distance", "duration", "price"}),
    #"results in a row" = Table.Min(#"Shortest travel", "duration")
in
    #"results in a row"

Appreciate if any kind folks can advise which functions should I use to achieve the above. 

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @slackerhx,

in pseudocode it should be as follows. I hope I have no typos in code.

let
    Source = <YOUR PREVIOUS STEPS>,
    BaiduResult = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Baidu Result", each yourFunctionName([Origin], [Destinantion])),
    Result = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(BaiduResult, "Baidu Result", {"distance", "duration", "price"})
in
    Result

Hi @Nolock

I've tried your suggested method but i got the following error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Table.
Details:
Value=Record
Type=Type

I've tried to modify the code to 

(Origin as text, Destination as text) =>

let 
    Baidu_API_key = "XXXX",
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("http://api.map.baidu.com/directionlite/v1/transit?origin="&Origin&"&destination="&Destination&"&ak="&Baidu_API_key)),
    BaiduResult = Table.AddColumn(Record.ToTable(Source), "Baidu Result", each Custom([Origin], [Destination])),
    Result = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(BaiduResult, "Baidu Result", {"distance", "duration", "price"})
in
    Result

but i got the following error instead: 

Expression.Error: The field 'Origin' of the record wasn't found.
Details:
Name=status
Value=0

Hi @slackerhx,

you've understand me wrong.

Unfortunately I can't prepare a 100 % working solution for you because I don't have any APIkey for Baidu for testing, but I hope you'll see my point in the following code.

let
    Source = <YOUR TABLE WITH COLUMNS ORIGIN AND DESTINATION>,

// your function getting the distance (you can also remove it from this expression and place somewhere else as separated query)
    fnCalculateDistance = (Origin as text, Destination as text) as table =>
        let 
            Baidu_API_key = "XXXX",
            #"Results" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Table.FromList(Record.ToList(Record.SelectFields(Source,"result")),Splitter.SplitByNothing(),null,null,ExtraValues.Error),"Column1", {"origin", "destination", "routes", "taxi"}),
            #"Routes" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.SelectColumns(#"Results","routes"),"routes"),
            #"Shortest travel" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Routes", "routes", {"distance", "duration", "price"}),
        in
            #"results in a row",

// add a column to Source where every row contains the result of fnCalculateDistance (the result is a table with one row)
    BaiduResult = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Baidu Result", each fnCalculateDistance([Origin], [Destinantion])),
    // expand the new table into 3 columns
in
    Result

@Nolock 

I'm not sure what I got wrong as I tried inputing what you've written above but i'm still getting errors: 

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Table. Details: Value=Record Type=Type

this is the inputs in the advance editor, is there anyway to make the excel sheets dynamic instead of hardcoding the sheet name?

let

Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],

fnCalculateDistance = (Origin as text, Destination as text) as table =>

let 
    Baidu_API_key = "XXXXXXX",
in
    #"results in a row",

BaiduResult = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Baidu Result", each fnCalculateDistance([Origin], [Destination])),

in
    Result

Hi @slackerhx,

I've read the whole code once again but unfortunately I haven't seen any obvious problem. Please test all the parts of the code separately - that's the only way.

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content]
in
    Source

Then the function.

(Origin as text, Destination as text) as table =>

let 
    Baidu_API_key = "XXXXXXX",
in
    #"results in a row"

And so on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors