Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

emmawdmi22
Helper I
Helper I

Custom expanding rows based on other table data

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Power query, and I would appreciate some help with my current data.

Context: I have two tables, one called devices with deviceIds and their displayName (which can be "Machine", "Printer 1 & 2", "Printer 3 & 4", "Printer 5 & 6"). The other table, which is connected to it in the model by a one to many relationship, is called data. It has the matching deviceIds, a timestamp, and columns counter0, counter1, and counter2.

Issue: I want to be able to compare the counter data to each other in a new table that includes deviceId and counter (and displayName if that makes life easier for determining which value). I would like all deviceIds with displayName Machine to have counter = counter0 (from data table). For displayNames Printer 1 & 2, Printer 3 & 4, Printer 5 & 6, I want to make two rows for each input from the data table, one with counter = counter1 (for the odd # in the name) and one with counter = counter2 (for the even # in the name).

I don't know if this is even possible, but I thought I would give this a shot. I need to use powerquery and not dax for this because I have other grouping and manipulation to do afterwards. Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emmawdmi22 

Assume your original tables are like below, 

vjingzhang_0-1656664614313.png

Is this what you want to have in a new table?

vjingzhang_1-1656664630250.png

You can download the attached pbix at bottom to see detailed steps for the third table. I use Merge queries as new feature to create the new table.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emmawdmi22 

Assume your original tables are like below, 

vjingzhang_0-1656664614313.png

Is this what you want to have in a new table?

vjingzhang_1-1656664630250.png

You can download the attached pbix at bottom to see detailed steps for the third table. I use Merge queries as new feature to create the new table.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

This works perfectly! Thank you so much for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors