Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Custom column using VLookup?

Hello all!

I have been struggling with this for a while, I hope someone can help out.
I have a situation where I have a Power Query / dataset 'dataSet', that can be refreshed with monthly new data. Part of this data set is:

Ref numberOwner

Jane
101Peter
102Frank
103Jane
104Frank
105Frank

Then inside a separate worksheet, I have manually entered the following 'static' additional information:

NameDepartment
FrankFinance
JaneSales
PeterFinance

I would love for a Power Query method to add a custom column in the existing query, that looks at the name and fills the custom column with the corresponding department. It should then look something like this:

Ref numberOwnerDepartment

JaneSales
101PeterFinance
102FrankFinance
103JaneSales
104FrankFinance
105FrankFinance

In normal excel terms I'd use VLookup. Could anyone help me how to do this using M formula language?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

In Power Query, you can do this with a merge. The documentation is helpful for this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/merge-queries-overview

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

In Power Query, you can do this with a merge. The documentation is helpful for this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/merge-queries-overview

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

say, Table1 is your dataset and Table2 is your static table and the column of Name is unique, try this code

NewStep=Table.AddColumn(Table1,"Department",each Table2{[Name=[Name]]}?[Department]?)

Hi Syndicate,

Thanks, I've tried it but it didn't quite work yet. I filled in what I believe is the table names, which I made as connection only queries:
NewStep = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value","Department",each #"Name vs Dept"{[Unique names=[Unique names]]}?[Department]?)

"'Replaced Value" = the query where the new column should come with the data present of the first table in my original post

"Name vs Dept" = the connection query containing the columns "Unique names" and "Department".

Is it right to make this table I have on the different worksheet into a query in order to use it?

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors