Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmccaskill
Frequent Visitor

Custom Function Looping Through Columns in Table

Hi All,

Been struggling for hours to figure out why my function is not working in the Power Query Editor. A quick synopsis of what I am trying to to:

• Find all columns where the header contains a specific character in a table
  • In these specific columns, erase all text before a specific delimeter in each row
  • Return the edited table

This is an example of what I would like my function to do to the data:

Table prior to function 

jmccaskill_0-1652895321197.png

Table after function

jmccaskill_1-1652895360813.png

Below is the code that I have created for a function to try to conduct these simple operations:

(Loop as number, Tbl as table) =>
let
    ColMax = Table.ColumnCount(Tbl),
    newTbl = if (Loop <= ColMax) and (Text.Contains(Table.ColumnNames(Tbl){Loop},"-")) then Table.TransformColumns(Tbl, {Table.ColumnNames(Tbl){Loop}, each Text.AfterDelimiter(_,": "), type text}) else Tbl,
    CurrentCol = Loop + 1,
    output = 
    if CurrentCol <= ColMax then @Function1(CurrentCol,newTbl)
    else newTbl

in
    output

Currently in the Advanced Editor screen it shows there are no syntax errors in my code, however, when I run it I get the following error:

jmccaskill_0-1652892516235.png

I need my code to be able to edit a dynamic number of columns, since the number of columns will always be changing for this specific table. The names of the columns will also change, but the ones I need to edit will always have the specific character "-" in it. If anyone has any guidance on how to solve this error it would be greatly appreciated! 

P.S. this is my first ever post on here, so if I did not include enough detail or uploaded something incorrectly please let me know and I will modify this post ASAP. I am new to coding in Power Query but have a background in Python, and have spent hours trying to figure out the functions and syntax to use in here with little success.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

There's no reason to use loops here and your error is related to the Loop index. M is a functional language and works best when you define transformations rather than procedural code.

For simplicity, it's often easier to define a query instead of a function that needs to be called when first building something and then turn it into a function once you have it working. For example:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSiwoyElV0lFKTiwCkulFicXFQLqsKD8/10rBFCQBFMqwUjAyALJLUotLrBRMlGJ1opUKUsE6SopKk7PBdCrImKTEvHQrBXMgqzi7CKjWECIGhFYKFkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Col1 = _t, Col2 = _t, Col3 = _t, #"change-1" = _t, #"change-2" = _t, #"change-3" = _t]),
    ColsToTransform = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each Text.Contains(_, "-")),
    TransformDefinition = List.Transform(ColsToTransform, each {_, each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}),
    TransformColumns = Table.TransformColumns(Source, TransformDefinition)
in
    TransformColumns

This is a dynamic version of the following:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows([...]),
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"change-1", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}, {"change-2", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}, {"change-3", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter"

You can turn the dynamic version into a function like this:

(Tbl as table) as table =>
let
    ColsToTransform = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Tbl), each Text.Contains(_, "-")),
    TransformDefinition = List.Transform(ColsToTransform, each {_, each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}),
    TransformColumns = Table.TransformColumns(Tbl, TransformDefinition)
in
    TransformColumns

You can then call this function on any table or within a query. Once the above function is defined as fn_TranformColumns, you can rewrite the first query I wrote as this:

let
    InvokeFunction = fn_TransformColumns(Source)
in
    InvokeFunction

Note: For future posts, please provide your sample data in a format that can easily be copied & pasted.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jmccaskill
Frequent Visitor

@AlexisOlson @watkinnc I appreciate both of yalls help! This did the trick😀

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Not bad, @AlexisOlson ! I would have made a query like

Columns = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(TableName), each Text.Contains(_, "-")),

Func = List.Repeat({"each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ":")}, List.Count(Columns)),

Transforms = List.Zip({Columns, Func})

Now you can just do Table.TransformColumns(TableName, Transforms)

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

There's no reason to use loops here and your error is related to the Loop index. M is a functional language and works best when you define transformations rather than procedural code.

For simplicity, it's often easier to define a query instead of a function that needs to be called when first building something and then turn it into a function once you have it working. For example:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSiwoyElV0lFKTiwCkulFicXFQLqsKD8/10rBFCQBFMqwUjAyALJLUotLrBRMlGJ1opUKUsE6SopKk7PBdCrImKTEvHQrBXMgqzi7CKjWECIGhFYKFkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Col1 = _t, Col2 = _t, Col3 = _t, #"change-1" = _t, #"change-2" = _t, #"change-3" = _t]),
    ColsToTransform = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each Text.Contains(_, "-")),
    TransformColumns = Table.TransformColumns(Source, TransformDefinition)
in
    TransformColumns

This is a dynamic version of the following:

let
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"change-1", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}, {"change-2", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}, {"change-3", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ": "), Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter"

You can turn the dynamic version into a function like this:

(Tbl as table) as table =>
let
    ColsToTransform = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Tbl), each Text.Contains(_, "-")),
    TransformColumns = Table.TransformColumns(Tbl, TransformDefinition)
in
    TransformColumns

You can then call this function on any table or within a query. Once the above function is defined as fn_TranformColumns, you can rewrite the first query I wrote as this:

let
    InvokeFunction = fn_TransformColumns(Source)
in
    InvokeFunction

Note: For future posts, please provide your sample data in a format that can easily be copied & pasted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors