Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adunn
Helper I
Helper I

Custom Connector Creation

I am attempting to create a custom connector for an ODBC SQL Anywhere server. I used the provided example for a custom ODBC connector and attempted to modify it.

When I test it, I repeatedly get the same error:

adunn_0-1601497281362.png

I am uncertain how to troubleshoot this bug. If anyone has created Custom Connectors and can point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up starting over with a fresh copy of the sample code from Microsoft (https://github.com/microsoft/DataConnectors/tree/master/samples/ODBC) and was able to get it working.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adunn ,

I know few about Custom Connector. I may not be able to help you in this regard.

But for Direct Query, there are some limitations of data transformations. And to my knowledge, there is no workaround unless connection mode is switched to Import.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I ended up starting over with a fresh copy of the sample code from Microsoft (https://github.com/microsoft/DataConnectors/tree/master/samples/ODBC) and was able to get it working.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adunn ,

Glad to hear that. Could you share the sample code with us? We are curious about that.😀 

And please accept it as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best Regards,

Icey

Yeah, I got it from here: https://github.com/microsoft/DataConnectors/tree/master/samples/ODBC

I copied the SQL sample. I initially was just pasting parts of it into the default custom connector, but then I started over with a fresh download of their whole sample and just made the changes I needed.

adunn
Helper I
Helper I

Have attempted to troubleshoot this issue myself. What I have ascertained is that it is related to the options used in the ODBC.DataSource function. When I comment out some of the options from the ODBC example code, this error stops appearing. However, at that point, Power BI fails to query fold my data source and I can't do anything except list the values in a table. Can't do very much in the way of filtering or using DAX functions.

I would assume something in this set of options needs to be set correctly based on my driver. While I can find documentation on these options, I am uncertain what resources to peruse in terms of the ODBC driver I am using to figure out which settings are necessary to make the Direct Query functional in Power BI.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors