Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matt0515
Frequent Visitor

Custom Column In Power Query Where Blanks Exist (Dates)

Hello Experts, I am hoping you can help me create a column that will return blank where blank information exists.

I have binary dates in my data set.

binary example: Close Date = 27.2.2020

I have created 3 custom columns for each piece of information.

1) Close Day = 27

2) Close Month = 2

3) Close Year = 2020

I then created a custom column to combine the information in a format that allows me to convert the column to date format of MM/DD/YYYY

Text.Combine({[Created Month]&"/",[Created Day]&"/",[Created Year]})

Result of column logic = 2/27/2020 - I can then format the column to date which results in 02/27/2020

What I cant figure out is how I to modify the custom column logic to return a blank value where "Close Day, Month, Year" are blank because the way I have it set up now returns a value of "//" and creates an error in my column.

Any help to enhance my custom column to return data where it exists and blanks where it doesnt would be greatly apprechiated!

Thank you experts!

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Matt0515 ,
If during import of data Power BI doesn't recognize your date column as date, you should try to convert column to date using locale option.
Right click on column > locale > data type = date, locale (choose your region). 
In order this to work, make sure that your pc settings (region settings) is set to your actual region.

If you would like to continue with current approach i suppose your year, month, day columns are numbers?
Try this formula, it will automatically return null of no date conversion is possible:
Text combine = Number.ToText([Month]) & "/" & Number.ToText([Day]) &"/" & Number.ToText([Year])
date null 1.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

Wrap your entire function with a try/otherwise construct.

try Date.FromText(Text.Combine({[Created Month]&"/",[Created Day]&"/",[Created Year]}))
otherwise null

If an error is returned, the "otherwise" kicks in and will return null. 

EDIT: you need to include the date conversion too, as the Text.Combine will never return an error as it doesn't care about date formats.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Matt0515 ,
If during import of data Power BI doesn't recognize your date column as date, you should try to convert column to date using locale option.
Right click on column > locale > data type = date, locale (choose your region). 
In order this to work, make sure that your pc settings (region settings) is set to your actual region.

If you would like to continue with current approach i suppose your year, month, day columns are numbers?
Try this formula, it will automatically return null of no date conversion is possible:
Text combine = Number.ToText([Month]) & "/" & Number.ToText([Day]) &"/" & Number.ToText([Year])
date null 1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors