Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative Costs with Multiple Filters

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new column in Power Query that will show cumulative costs and take multiple filters into consideration. I created a mockup table to explain it better. I'm trying to create the total costs column. 

Screenshot 2020-11-26 095816.png

The idea is simple, if campaign end year is "ongoing" and campaign type is "online" then it should cumulatively sum estimated costs. See campaign year 2018 for example, it sums Campaign 1 from 2017 (both ongoing and online 25.000) and Campaign 3 from 2018 (6.500).  Because at the beginning of 2018, we have only these two costs. Whereas in 2020, it's the sum of Campaign 1 and Campaign 4 (both ongoing and online) and the 5th campaign. It should also automatically fill when there are no campaigns in one year (due to the ongoing and online campaigns from previous years).

I tried to achieve it with =SUMX and IF but because Campaign End Year is not a date type (for obvious reasons), it doesn't work.

Any ideas appreciated,

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Try this create the following column: 

Column = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Estimated Cost]),FILTER('Table',[Start Year]<=EARLIER('Table'[Start Year])&&[Compaign End Year]="Ongoing" && [Campaign Type]="Online"))

running total filter.JPG

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Try this create the following column: 

Column = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Estimated Cost]),FILTER('Table',[Start Year]<=EARLIER('Table'[Start Year])&&[Compaign End Year]="Ongoing" && [Campaign Type]="Online"))

running total filter.JPG

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Is there some mistake in the description? Where you said "if campaign end year is "ongoing" and campaign type is "in person"", but there is only 1 row(Campain 2) matches this condition. Can you clarify, we cannot create formula without correct logic. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @V-pazhen-msft for catching this. You are right! It should've been "ongoing" and "online". I also realized my mock-up data doesn't provide the results that I need. In my case, there are no campaigns in 2018, whereas there is cost associated to that year because of 2017 ongoing & online campaign (Campaign 1), I'll edit the original question. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors