Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anne_van_hal

Credentials are invalid public cloud Sharepoint online-PowerBI.com connection

I get this message trying to connect from powerbi.com dashboard to my public cloud sharepoint online list.:
"Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again." 
I can try to reconnect (OAuth2) but it keeps giving this message.  The people that I granted access to my Dashboard can see my dashboard though. But of course I try to achieve an hourly automated update of the report. and for that I need the credentials.

I searched the internet and I searched this community and it seems many more people have similar problems.   Since I connect from public cloud to SharePoint online I should not use a gateway and should be able to enter my credentials and schedule a report refresh.  but I can't.

Is there anybody who has a solution? (I already re-installed my PowerBI desktop with the latest version and republished my dashboard to powerbi.com).  Or Microsoft? If this is a defect in the tool, is there a planning when we can expect to have a solution for this?

thanks in advance for thinking along!

6 REPLIES 6
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I am having the same issue

gabriam

Same trouble here. Is it solved?

No solution yet.  I finally engaged with PowerBI support and literally just finished sending them a Steps Recorder session and a Fiddler trace.   I'll post anything relevant that comes out of my interactions with them.

At least in my case, the issue was that my organization is using the government version of SharePoint online and - until recently - there was no government version of PowerBI.  The could not see the other given the government versin of SharePoint Online is more finicky about data sharing/access.

ttinsley
Resolver I
Resolver I

I am having the same issue

Similar issue except I'm using an Excel spreadsheet that is stored in a SharePoint Online document repository.  When I did the initial Get Data to access the spreadsheet, I had a hiccup with either SharePoint or PowerBI inserting a "@SSL" into the file path - which prevented its upload, but when I deleted the "@SLL" from the filepath, I was able to bring in the data just fine.  People I have share the dashboards with can also see the visualizations just fine.  Now I go to schedule a daily refresh and it says my credentials are invalid.  In this case, it's using Windows credentials and I'm still logged in as the original Windows user I was at the beginning, so this is making no sense to me.

Having said that, I'm logged into a preview version of a PowerBI using different PowerBI credentials than my Windows credentials.  Could this be the problem?  If so, then why was I able to get the data in the first place?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors