Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SimonCRSS
Regular Visitor

Credential and Refresh Issues

OK... I'm hoping this doesn't sound too stupid. I just can't figure out this one. 

I have the following....

(1). Power BI Report created on my local machine which has been created using the latest version of PBI Desktop.

(2). A sharepoint list - on my company online (cloud) SharePoint site - this simple list feeds the PBI Report (as created in step 1 above).

(3). A Power BI chart embedded in the SharePoint site (same site as the list). This chart has been created using the Modern SharePoint page and simply using the Power BI component added to it with the URL pasted in - copied from the Embed in SharePoint Online option in the Power BI Service.

The problem I have is:

I can update the list in SharePoint... no problem. This will update then update the Report in Power BI Desktop.

What I can't seem to do is have this update the Power BI embedded Report in SharePoint.

So, my question is how do I do this? 

I've received an error saying I can't refresh the dataset as my credentials are incorrect.... not sure how this can be the case as I've logged into everything ok. Similarly, it also mentions I need to sort out parameters... again, not sure why as the chart only uses 2 fields (date and a value) as it's a simple test version before I do anything more difficult !

If I view the Report in the Power BI Service it also won't refresh at all... despite the SharePoint List being updated correctly. The appropriate Datasets Settings are shown:

Errors.jpg

Your help would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SimonCRSS ,

By my tests, if the report in power bi service has been refreshed, the report page in SharePoint page will be updated either.

Please check if your client update the report, the report in Power BI Service will be updated either?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SimonCRSS ,

If I understand your scenario correctly that you cannot get the update report which embeded in SharePoint Online when you refresh in Power BI Service?

By my tests, I could get the update report in SharePoint Online after refresh in Power BI Service.

Please check if you have the same step as mine.

1. Create a report which data source is SharePoint Online list in Power BI Desktop and publish it to Power BI Service.

2. Go to Settings and edit the credential (use the same crentential when you get data in Power BI Desktop). You must keep you credential is correct then you could refresh.

3. Do some changes for the list in SharePoint online list and refresh it in Power BI Desktop.

4.Then refresh the dataset of the SharePoint online list in Power BI Service and go to the Refresh history to check if it is refreshed.

5. If the refresh is complete, refresh the report and then refresh the Site Page in SharePoint.

In addition, if you didn't set the parameter in Power BI Desktop, you don't need to focus on the Parameter option.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Cherry,

Hi.... I don't think I explained this correctly...sorry. What I need to do is have a SharePoint list update and then automatically update a Power BI Report in the same SharePoint site. In other words, when my client updates a list (by either adding an entry or using a PowerApps Apps) the Power BI Report on another Page will automatically update. 

So, I guess my question is what would be the steps to do this?

I should mention that I design the reports in the Power BI Desktop then publish to the service where I take the URL and paste into the SharePoint page in the appropriate container. 

Where am I going wrong?

Kind regards,

Simon

Hi @SimonCRSS ,

By my tests, if the report in power bi service has been refreshed, the report page in SharePoint page will be updated either.

Please check if your client update the report, the report in Power BI Service will be updated either?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors