Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmeelisfab
Regular Visitor

Creating parameters from query within a refresh to input in other query

Hi, 

I am trying to refresh a query using parameters created from another query.
I want to know if it is possible to sequentially refresh in the following order:

1. Refresh Query 1 that inlcudes ID

2. Create parameters including distinct ID's from Query 1

3. Refresh Query 2 using these parameters as inputs

I am asking because of data limitations for Query 2. It takes too long to load Query 2 without filtering for these specific ID's.

P.S. I only have 3 months experience in Power BI / Power Query.

2 REPLIES 2
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

If it's Excel, you could set the first query to refresh upon opening, and then refresh the rest. I do it like that when grabbing usernames to filter my tables.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

You will need to click a query in Queries pane and press Refresh preview in Home menu. Hence, refresh Query1 first and then Query 2. 

Don't select Refresh All.

But all these will impact only Preview data limited to 1000 rows.

When you apply, queries are executed fully not only limited to 1000 rows of preview, then you can't select the order of Queries to be executed. In File - Options & Settings - Current File - Data Load - You can uncheck Parallel Loading. This will cause Queries to be executed sequentially (But you can't define the order)

Watch below video where a delay has been introduced through Function.InvokeAfter which might help you.

Power BI - Custom Query Load Order

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors