Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a generic data source for a PQ query

Hi,

for a customer I need to manage the data loading from a SQL Server table in the dev environment and the data loading from the corresponding Oracle table in the prod environment. In other terms, I've two different data sources between two environments.

I thought to create an empty query having as a first row something like Source = Connection_string_param, where this parameters contains the database server, the database name, likely also the access credentials and perhaps a table name, e.g.:

- for the SQL Server source, Connection_string_param = Sql.Database("database_server", "database_name"),

- for the Oracle source, Connection_string_param = Oracle.Database("database_name").

Is it possible to create a such parametric query? Any helps to me, please? Is it possible switching somehow from a data source to the another one?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this article.  You should be able to adapt this approach.

Change the Source of Power BI Datasets Dynamically Using Power Query Parameters - RADACAD

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this article.  You should be able to adapt this approach.

Change the Source of Power BI Datasets Dynamically Using Power Query Parameters - RADACAD

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

There are several ways you could do this.  One simple one would be like this.  Just change the SourceToggle value away from 1 to change to prod.

let

SourceToggle = 1,

Source = if SourceToggle = 1 then Sql.Database(     ) else Oracle.Database(   ),

rest of query

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've SourceToggle as a PQ parameter, but after publishing the pbix on Power BI service I cannot edit this parameter.

How could I solve this issue? Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

thanks for your reply.

I've tried your suggest in pbi desktop and it functions rightly!

On power bi service after the publishing?

I'm interesting to know other ways to solve this issue. Is there any articles about this subject?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors