Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sussibar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Creating New Dynamic Queries or Blank Queries from within an Existing Power Query Query

I am thinking I already know the answer to this, but does anyone know if it is possible to create a new query from an existing query? I.e. Does the language spec have a means of calling the UI equivalent of NewSource -> Blank Query found in the Transform Data/Get & Transform/Edit Queries ETL editor of Power BI from within an existing Power Query script (and not by clicking the UI)?

New Blank Query UI ButtonNew Blank Query UI Button

I was hoping there might be a way to utilize #shared and/or #sections intrinsic variables of the global environment, possibly with Expression.Evaluate() to dynamically generate a set of new tables from an existing table based on applying logic with the each keyword to filter a column's distinct values.

An example use case:

There is a budget worksheet that has [Department] column, whose distinct values change over time. For each department in that column, I want to filter the existing worksheet to contain only the records with the current department and then create a new query that creates a new table based on that filtered result, which would create a new query in the Queries sidebar (effectively creating a new record in #sections). 

My intuition is that the functionality I'm looking for is a property of the UI/application and not the language spec. I was hoping whatever UI function mapping that is called to instantiate a new power query (which I'm hoping behind the scenes is some function to create a new record in Source[Section1]) was exposed to the end user, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Example of  an intrinsic section in SourceExample of an intrinsic section in Source

Example section Source[Section1] in global environment intrinsic variable #sections

If you have any idea whether this is possible. Please let me know. It might be something that I just need to manually do. It would be an elegant solution to dynamically instantiate new queries from existing queries, but I don't know if that fits within a functional programming paradigm. Is creating a new query something that is only possible behind the scenes and only accessible via the UI?

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This may be oversimplified, but you can reference a query in the same model by right clicking the original query and choosing "Reference Query" or in the new query type the name of the query you are referencing in the Source line.

let
   Source = "Original Query Name"

Hope that helps!

~Kim

No, Power Query doesn't have eval() functions. What it does have though is each and _ - those allow you to iterate over arrays and contexts so you can create pretty elaborate logic all with a little lookup table (for example a list of active departments for which you want to do the ETL)

A lot of the Power Query functions accept custom functions as parameters - another very powerful concept that will help you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors