Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Helper II
Helper II

Create table from existing data set in power query excel

I have a large dataset that is in power query from multiple excel spreadsheets. I want to create a new smaller table which would include only two columns from the large data set. one column is Name and the other column is a Wage % measure. The wage % measure should be the product of the rows (meaning if there were 3 rows in the large data set, I would get one row in small dataset but the wage % would multiple each row to arrive at the new one line answer).

Is this possible in power query, I know how to do it in Power bi, but I cannot do it in excel power query.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @10500438 

Select every column except the last one --> Tranform --> Group by 

Set the group by like this

image.png

change the formula in the formula bar the part of the funciton like this

each List.Product([Unit Yield])

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @10500438 

Is this problem sloved? 
If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case and help the other members find it more quickly?
If not, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards
Maggie
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @10500438 

there should be no difference for Power Query Excel or Power BI when it comes to basic functions.

Check out this solution. It applies a Table.Group with a List.Product-function

let
	Source = #table
	(
		{"Name","Wage%"},
		{
			{"A","0,05"},	{"A","0,04"},	{"A","0,1"},	{"B","0,3"},	{"B","0,5"},	{"B","0,3"},	{"C","0,2"},	{"C","0,1"}
		}
	),
    ChangeType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Wage%", Percentage.Type}}),
    Group = Table.Group
	(
		ChangeType, 
		{"Name"}, 
		{{"Product", each List.Product([#"Wage%"]) ,  Percentage.Type}})
in
	Group

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works. If this solution fits your need, copy and past a part of it and implement it in your query

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

I feel like we are on the right track, but I cannot figure out how to implement this into my solution. I have only been using Power BI and Power Query for a short while. How can I upload my excel file for you to see what I am working with?

In the meantime here is my output from my query, 

2020-02-27_18-13-33.jpg

what I am trying to do is have the same output as below, but any Unique Key that has more than one line item, The Unit Yield column should be mulitplied times each other and have one single row that represents the result.

2020-02-27_18-15-50_new.jpg

The data set is very large because of the mulitple times products move through a mill area, so to get a smaller set, I can multiply mill areas times each other to get the correct result per mill area. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hello @10500438 

Select every column except the last one --> Tranform --> Group by 

Set the group by like this

image.png

change the formula in the formula bar the part of the funciton like this

each List.Product([Unit Yield])

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

All though I can get this to work on the numeric columns, grouping by sales order and sales item, I cannot get it to work when I group by all the columns shown, I am getting a DataFormat.error we couldn't convert to a number Details 1P01780000.

Any thoughts as to why? Maybe because the Column Mill Area is text characters?

I figured out I needed to change the type to numeric,, thank you!! It works great!!

Thank you for all your help so far!!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, right click your query and choose Reference.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors