Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JJH_
Frequent Visitor

Create conditional column by delimiting at different points based on keywords

I am parsing through reported crime dataset where the [Attribute] column contains details on the type of crime and what type of data point it is.

Using Assault as an example, there is a datapoint for Assaults in 2020 (counts how many assaults in 2020) and Assault Rate in 2020 (counts how many assaults in 2020 for every 100K people).

I'd like to create a new conditional column that would parse the [Attribute] column to either state Assault or Assault_Rate. 

Thinking a formula such as this would work:

If [Attribute] contains "Rate" then extract all except for the last 4 characters ELSE delimit before "_"

AttributeTypeofCrime
Assault_2020Assault
Assault_Rate2020Assault_Rate

Sample Data

JJH__0-1624811026379.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

2 REPLIES 2
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

wdx223_Daniel_0-1624850438656.png

watkinnc
Super User
Super User

I would type this in the formula bar:

= Table.AddColumn(PriorStepName, "TypeOfCrime", each if Text.Contains([Attribute], "Assault_Rate") then "Assault_Rate" else if Text.Contains([Attribute], "Assault") then "Assault" else [Attribute])

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors