Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Benjamin_Eureka
Frequent Visitor

Create conditional column based on table filtered by row data

Hi folks,

I'm trying to create a conditional column with the max value of a certain place on a certain date (see image), but I can't get it to work. I tried to nest a filtered table in a List.Max statement, but somehow the filtering doesn't work as planned. So the steps I was thinking about:

1. Create a filtered table (Date = DateOfCurrentRow, Place = PlaceOfCurrentRow) per row

2. Find the max value of the value column and place it in the new column

The problem is that I don't know how to create a filtered table based on the contents of the current row. In Dax I would know to use EARLIER but I need to do it in PQ. I hope the question is clear enough.

Thank you for your precious time!

Max-in-filtered-table.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

Here is one method

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Place", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Max", each 
      let 
        tb= Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (t)=> t[Place] = [Place] and t[Date] = [Date])
      in  
        List.Max(tb[Value]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

ronrsnfld_0-1636804601802.png

If you are just using the UI,   Add a custom column with the formula:

let 
        tb= Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (t)=> t[Place] = [Place] and t[Date] = [Date])
      in  
        List.Max(tb[Value])

ronrsnfld_1-1636804729450.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

Here is one method

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Place", type text}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Max", each 
      let 
      in  
        List.Max(tb[Value]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

ronrsnfld_0-1636804601802.png

If you are just using the UI,   Add a custom column with the formula:

let 
      in  
        List.Max(tb[Value])

ronrsnfld_1-1636804729450.png

This works like a charm although my refresh has become terribly slow, so I'll have to find a way to fix that. If it isn't too much trouble, can I ask to elbaorate on how this works:

(t)=> t[Place] = [Place] and t[Date] = [Date]

I have never seen this before and I would like to understand it better to up my skills. A link to a doc is also just fine!

Again, thanks a lot, it made my day!

You need to look at the M Code to understand the issue.  When you add a column, the generated M Code uses the `each` keyword.  So in the generator function, when you want to refer to an entire column, you need to specify the table.  In the Table.SelectRows function, (t) will refer to the entire table; so t[Place] refers to the entire column [Place], whereas [Place] by itself, refers to the entry on the same row.

You can read about using "each" in PQ here:  The Each Keyword in Power Query - The Excelguru BlogThe Excelguru Blog

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply! The slow query led me on a journey to speed optimisations for PQ. After I placed the step before the solution step in a Table.Buffer the query was way faster, the refresh time was 30 seconds now, but for a thousand rows this is still awefully slow. I came across this website Performance aspects for PQ and at some point I wondered if I just could have used a 'Group by' with the advanced option of 'All rows'. And it worked! Now it only takes a second or 2 to refresh. So bottom line: this has been an educating experience! 

Thank you for your time and efforts, it's well appreciated! 

Yes. That is definitely a useful reference when the need arises.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors