Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kirvis
Helper I
Helper I

Create bins for subcategories based on MIN and MAX values

Hi all,

I am working on a project for which I would like to create bins based on the MAX and MIN of a value within a subset.

The dataset has 3 columns:

1. Cell ID
  2. Gene ID
  3. Value

I want to create 10 bins for each Gene ID by doing (MAX(Value) - MIN(Value))/10 and then assign every row in my table the result.

Since my datasets are (very) large with millions of rows, I want to do this in Power Query and not in DAX. Once the bin is set, it will not change anymore.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

An example file with data can be found here.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kirvis 

you have to turn the query into a function and apply it on the grouped data.

Please see file attached.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @kirvis 

please check this query:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Expression_FACT"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"GeneID", Int64.Type}, {"Cell ID", Int64.Type}, {"Value", type number}}),
    ListOfValues = List.Buffer(#"Changed Type"[Value]),
    Min = List.Min(ListOfValues),
    Max = List.Max(ListOfValues),
    Increment = (Max - Min) / 10,
    Buckets = List.Transform({1..10}, each [Index = _, Value =  Min +  (_ * Increment) ] ),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Buckets, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"Index", "Value"}, {"Index", "Value"}),
    Custom1 = #"Expanded Column1" & #"Changed Type",
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Buffer(Table.Sort(Custom1,{{"Value", Order.Descending}, {"Index", Order.Descending}})),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Sorted Rows",{"Index"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each ([GeneID] <> null))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

This is not the fastest operation one can run...

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi Imke,

Thanks for your response. The query seems to work like a charm (and is quite fast as well). 

However, I realize that I might not have made myself completely clear in my original post: I would like to do exactly this, but then for each GeneID separately. In your query, you determine the MIN and MAX of all values combined, so of all GeneIDs together.

Is there an easy way to do exactly what you have done, but then grouped per GeneID?

Thanks,

Kirvis 

Hi @kirvis 

Sure that's possible - will send solution later.

Hi @kirvis 

you have to turn the query into a function and apply it on the grouped data.

Please see file attached.

Hi Imke,

Excellent, thanks! This is indeed exactly what I was looking for!

Best regards,

Kirvis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors