Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mohanpal
Frequent Visitor

Create a dynamic index column based on Date Selection by user

Hi all,

I want to create a dynamic index column based on whatever date user select.

Look at the sample table below,

1. If the user select 2nd Jan from slicer, the index against it should be one.

2. If user select 3rd jan, then index should be 1 against 3rd Jan.

3. If user select multiple dates , for example: 3rd, 5th and 6th Jan then index should be 1 for 3rd jan, 2 for 5th Jan, 3 for 6th jan and so on.

I have tried using RANKX function but it's not giving me desired output. Any help is appreciated.

mohanpal_0-1660884301418.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mohanpal 

In Power BI, the calculated column cannot be dynamic according to users' selection in the slicer/filter. Only measures can be dynamic. You can use the following measure. 

Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Date'[Date]),CALCULATE(MAX('Date'[Date])),,ASC,Dense)

vjingzhang_0-1661249289938.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
azaki
Frequent Visitor

To have a dynamic index follow below steps

1- Add Index column to your data set

azaki_0-1702282173276.png

2- Create Measure like this 

MsrDynamicIndex = SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table_Name'),[Index]<=MAXX('Table_Name',[Index])),CALCULATE(1))

Now the measure will be your Dynamic Index whatever filters you applied it will reset the index 🙂

pedroluccas
Frequent Visitor

Hello!
I have a similar problem.

I am working witha data series that relates a "result" (pH, mass, etc) to "sample code" and, in order to calculate my intersect, slope and R² I need an index starting with 1

But when I filter my data, I need that the first sample be reenumerated to 1. Ex: 

- First analysis: Sample 1 to 20 (1 = 1,  2 = 2, 3 = 3, ..., 20 samples)

- Second analysis: Sample 8 to 16 (8 = 1, 9 = 2, 10 = 3, ..., 16 = 9)

I tried your solutions but it didn't work. Maybe because my sample code is a text.

pedroluccas_0-1665068556033.png

The same way I want select samples of annother product, ex: B1AA/22 - B12AA/22, and, when I change the products the index restart with 1

I expalin with more details of the statistics on DAX on LINEAR REGRESSION - X-AXIS IN TEXT FORMAT - Microsoft Power BI Community

Any ideas? @v-jingzhang 

Thank you very much

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mohanpal 

In Power BI, the calculated column cannot be dynamic according to users' selection in the slicer/filter. Only measures can be dynamic. You can use the following measure. 

Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Date'[Date]),CALCULATE(MAX('Date'[Date])),,ASC,Dense)

vjingzhang_0-1661249289938.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Hi,

RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Child[Mfg_Date_Time]),CALCULATE(MAX(Child[Mfg_Date_Time])),,ASC,Dense)
Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Date'[Date]),CALCULATE(MAX('Date'[Date])),,ASC,Dense)​

This formula is considering date only, how do we modify it to consider date and time too?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

dynamic ... column

That is not something you can do in Power BI.  Either you have a column, or you have something dynamic (ie a measure).  You cannot have both.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors