Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create a Table with StartDate and EndDate of Week for a Determined Period

Hi, I´m trying to create a table that contains the start date of a week and the end date of a week given a "number of periods days" and a "number of periods to be consider". For example.

Origen = 01/07/2021 (today)

numberOfPeriodsDays=7 (is equivalent a 1 week)

numberOfPeriodsToBeConsider=5 (is equivalente a 5 weeks)

This is the result I want to create with format (dd/mm/yyyy)

StartDateEndDate
24/05/202130/05/2021
31/05/202106/06/2021
07/06/202113/06/2021
14/06/202120/06/2021
21/06/202127/06/2021
28/06/202104/07/2021

I trying to use List.Generate but I can't make it work, perhaps I need another approach

Origen = DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),
    StartDateOfPeriod= Date.StartOfWeek(Date.AddDays(DateTimeZone.LocalNow(),(-1)*numberOfPeriodsDays*numberOfPeriodsToBeConsider)),
    GeneratePeriods=List.Generate(
        ()=> [
            Counter=0, 
            PeriodsTable=#table
            (type table 
            [
                "StartDate"=date,
                "EndDate"=date
            ],
            {StartDateOfPeriod,Date.EndOfWeek(StartDateOfPeriod)}
            )
            ],
            each Table.Last([PeriodsTable])[EndDate]>Origen,
            each [
                Counter=[Counter]+1,  
                NewStartDateOfPeriod = Date.AddDays([StartDate],numberOfPeriodsDays), 
                NewEndDateOfPeriod=Date.EndOfWeek(NewStartDateOfPeriod), 
                PeriodsTable=Table.Combine({[PeriodsTable],Table.FromRecords({NewStartDateOfPeriod,NewEndDateOfPeriod})})
                ],
            each [PeriodsTable]),
    PeriodTable= List.Last(GeneratePeriods) 

I really appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Julio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here's one way to do it in the query editor.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, open the Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
Origin = Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),
DaysPerPeriod = 7,
NumberOfPeriods = 5,
    InitialList = {-1*NumberOfPeriods+1 .. 0},
    Custom1 = List.Transform(InitialList, each [StartDate=Date.StartOfWeek(Date.AddDays(Origin,_ * DaysPerPeriod)), EndDate = Date.EndOfWeek(Date.AddDays(Origin,_ * DaysPerPeriod)) ]),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"StartDate", "EndDate"}, {"StartDate", "EndDate"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Column1",{{"StartDate", type date}, {"EndDate", type date}})
in 
#"Changed Type"

You can tweak the Date.StartOfWeek and EndOfWeek for which day of the week you want to start/end the weeks on with Day.Saturday, etc. if needed.  You can also choose the desired date format after you load the table.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here's one way to do it in the query editor.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, open the Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
Origin = Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),
DaysPerPeriod = 7,
NumberOfPeriods = 5,
    InitialList = {-1*NumberOfPeriods+1 .. 0},
    Custom1 = List.Transform(InitialList, each [StartDate=Date.StartOfWeek(Date.AddDays(Origin,_ * DaysPerPeriod)), EndDate = Date.EndOfWeek(Date.AddDays(Origin,_ * DaysPerPeriod)) ]),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"StartDate", "EndDate"}, {"StartDate", "EndDate"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Column1",{{"StartDate", type date}, {"EndDate", type date}})
in 
#"Changed Type"

You can tweak the Date.StartOfWeek and EndOfWeek for which day of the week you want to start/end the weeks on with Day.Saturday, etc. if needed.  You can also choose the desired date format after you load the table.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors