Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Suhel_Ansari
Helper IV
Helper IV

Create Dataflow from Power BI Dataset

Hi All,

I am trying to create a Dataflow from Power BI service Dataset, so can any one help me with how can i do it, any work around.

Now that we have an option within Dataflow to "Import Model" within Dataflow, please help. Thanks

Thanks

Regards

Suhel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Suhel_Ansari 

You can not build a dataflow on top of the dataset, you can only do it the other way round.

The easiest way I know to replicate the models is by coping the M script from PBI desktop advanced editor into dataflows.

You can still reference the same tables in dataflows, you just need to make sure "Enable Load" is not on.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Shweta_Juyal

Hello ,

I am trying to add data flow into existing report uploaded in power bi workspace.

I am not able to get the option to do so, Could you please tell me if thats possible? if yes then how ?

Thanks,

Shweta

axel_BI
Helper I
Helper I

Hello everybody,

is there still no way to go from dataset to dataflow?

I am trying to connect do an exasol database, which is not possible via dataflow. With Powerbi Desktop it works just fine.
Copying the M-Code doesnt work either.

But, to re-use the data in different reports, a dataflow is absolutely needed.

help is much appreciated

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Suhel_Ansari 

You can ask the dataset owner to give you access to the pbix file and copy the M code from there.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz Repczynski

@Mariusz 

Thank you for the prompt response, I can however we have too many table which are a reference of main table, so was thinking it we can at-lest get the a custom function in M query to convert my table from PBI file so i can import it into Dataflow please help me. Thanks

Suhel

Hi @Suhel_Ansari 

You can not build a dataflow on top of the dataset, you can only do it the other way round.

The easiest way I know to replicate the models is by coping the M script from PBI desktop advanced editor into dataflows.

You can still reference the same tables in dataflows, you just need to make sure "Enable Load" is not on.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz Repczynski

@Mariusz 

Thanks for the clarification. 
Suhel

@Suhel_Ansari 

No Problem!

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Mariusz Repczynski

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors