Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MladenJ
Frequent Visitor

Count number of records in a column for all columns

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate all columns in one big table (99 columns, 1.5m rows).

What i need get is the list of all columns and the count of how many records are there in the respective column.

Table has various column types: dates, strings, numbers, boolean values.

What is the best approach to do this?

What i've tried so far are List functions, but it either seems too long for the refresh (over an hour and a half).

My first step was to get the column names from the fact table and second step is to count the records in selected column as list.

let
    Table = data,
    Source = Table.FromList(Table.ColumnNames(Table), Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    RecordCount = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Record count", each try List.NonNullCount( List.ReplaceMatchingItems( Table.ToList(Table.SelectColumns(Table, [Column1])), {{"", null}} )) otherwise 
List.Count( Table.ToList(Table.SelectColumns(Table, [Column1])) ))
in
    RecordCount

I found that the List.Count or List.NonNullCount don't work as expected, as i have nulls in the list, but it counts them either way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.FromColumns({Table.ColumNames(PreviousStepName),List.Transform(Table.ToColumns(PrevousStepName),each List.Count(List.RemoveItems(_,{"",null})))},{"ColName","NoNullCount"})

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.FromColumns({Table.ColumNames(PreviousStepName),List.Transform(Table.ToColumns(PrevousStepName),each List.Count(List.RemoveItems(_,{"",null})))},{"ColName","NoNullCount"})

Thanks, that works, but it still takes really long time to refresh. (hour for now)

I'm not too knowledgeable in PQ, but i've read the posts and use cases for Buffer functions. 

Are they any good in this case?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors