Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count how many columns until value changes

Hi all!
My colleagues and I want to use PBI for analysing some internal checks we're running on a monthly basis. For this we're using MS Forms which acts as the data input for PBI. 
The file we recive and try to vizualise has some sort of this format: 

IDDepartmentQuestion 1Text 1Question 2Text 2Question 3Text 3...
Numbertexttrue/falsetexttrue/falsetexttrue/falsetext 

The difficulty we're encountering has to do with the way how we rate the answers. 
Each department gets points for a question answered with true. But if they have one question with answer = false, they do not score any points for all following answers (columns above are in the correct order). It's almost like a "cut-off". 

E.g: True - True - True - False - False would score 3 points

True - False- True - False - True would score 1 point

Now we want to create a column, which tells us how many points they scored until they answered witha false. I know this can be done with a lot of if-conditions. But as we have 15 Questions to ask, i think it will be rather messy. So I'm asking if there's a neater way to do it! 🙂 

Something related to this question: 
We want to display the results like this: 

Example for wished outcomeExample for wished outcome

Red for false, 
Yellow for true, but there was a false in one of the questions before (so it does not add to the respective score) 
Green for true, all other answers were true before.

For this, I'm a little stumped and don't really know how to start... maybe you have some thoughts? 

Please let me know, if you need any more details to help me out! 

Thanks in advance! 
Joost from Hamburg, Germany

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8ivNTUotUtJRKkmtKAFRRaWpuHhpiTnFcG5sLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Department = _t, #"Question 1" = _t, #"Text 1" = _t, #"Question 2" = _t, #"Text 2" = _t, #"Question 3" = _t, #"Text 3" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", type text}, {"Department", type text}, {"Question 1", type logical}, {"Text 1", type text}, {"Question 2", type logical}, {"Text 2", type text}, {"Question 3", type logical}, {"Text 3", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "trueBeforefalse", each List.PositionOf(List.Alternate(List.Skip(Record.FieldValues(_)),1,1,0),false, Occurrence.First))
in
    #"Added Custom"

try this

ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @Anonymous 

This should not be difficult to solve with Power Query, using recursion, List.Accumulate, List.Generate, etc. should work, can you upload some sample data?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Not sure about Power Query, I did something similar in DAX called Chtulhu - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Cthulhu/m-p/509739#M211

Seems like you might want to consider unpivoting columns.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors