Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hdhillon
Frequent Visitor

Count columns with data only, ignoring blanks

All,

I want to add an extra column at the end of my table to count columns with data in them (text or numbers)  Ignoring the blanks

Also can I tell it to count only columns 2 to 8 say?

Thanks in advance ! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @hdhillon 

check this approach. It converts the row to a table and then uses List-functions to filter the value-column.

This is the formula of the new column

List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToTable(_)[Value], (item)=> item <>"" and item <>null))

here the complete example

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUSpPLQKSxSlpQBKEYnWileACcGEQAySTiFAIEkTSgEAwExKRlCrFxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t, Column5 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}}),
    CountNonEmptyColumns = Table.AddColumn
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        "Count of non empty columns",
        each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToTable(_)[Value], (item)=> item <>"" and item <>null))
    )
in
    CountNonEmptyColumns

Jimmy801_0-1605011749153.png

uses this formula to specify column number in the variable "ColNumbers "

let 
            ColNumbers = {0,2,3},
            GetColNames = List.Accumulate(ColNumbers, {}, (o,c)=> o & {Record.ToTable(_)[Name]{c}}),
            ColCount = List.Count(List.Select(Table.SelectRows(Record.ToTable(_), (tbl)=> List.Contains(GetColNames, tbl[Name]))[Value], (item)=> item <>"" and item <>null))
        in 
            ColCount

Here the complete example

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUSpPLQKSxSlpQBKEYnWileACcGEQAySTiFAIEkTSgEAwExKRlCrFxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t, Column5 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}}),
    CountNonEmptyColumns = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Count of non empty columns", each let 
            ColNumbers = {0,2,3},
            GetColNames = List.Accumulate(ColNumbers, {}, (o,c)=> o & {Record.ToTable(_)[Name]{c}}),
            ColCount = List.Count(List.Select(Table.SelectRows(Record.ToTable(_), (tbl)=> List.Contains(GetColNames, tbl[Name]))[Value], (item)=> item <>"" and item <>null))
        in 
            ColCount)
in
    CountNonEmptyColumns

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.
If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hdhillon
Frequent Visitor

All,  is there not a simple formula, alot like COUNTA in excel that will count cells with data in them?  Obviously I want to do it for every row here

No @hdhillon - Power Query is not like Excel. There are no ranges to look at columns 2-8 in a simple way. Power Query is like a database table. The solution @Jimmy801 works. There may be other ways - I am sure there are because if you can do it one way, you can probably do it 3-4 different ways. But there is no COUNTA() function or similar function.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @hdhillon 

check this approach. It converts the row to a table and then uses List-functions to filter the value-column.

This is the formula of the new column

List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToTable(_)[Value], (item)=> item <>"" and item <>null))

here the complete example

let
    CountNonEmptyColumns = Table.AddColumn
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        "Count of non empty columns",
        each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToTable(_)[Value], (item)=> item <>"" and item <>null))
    )
in
    CountNonEmptyColumns

Jimmy801_0-1605011749153.png

uses this formula to specify column number in the variable "ColNumbers "

let 
            ColNumbers = {0,2,3},
        in 
            ColCount

Here the complete example

let
    CountNonEmptyColumns = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Count of non empty columns", each let 
            ColNumbers = {0,2,3},
        in 
            ColCount)
in
    CountNonEmptyColumns

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.
If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @hdhillon , you might want to try this solution

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlLSUTIBYgsgdoSyTZVidaLBIlAJIDIDUTBhf59EIGkIkQHpcAJLmYP16ig5Q0VBeoyVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t, Column5 = _t, Column6 = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue, Table.ColumnNames(Source)),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "CountNonBlank", each List.NonNullCount(Record.ToList(_)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Screenshot 2020-11-10 133311.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors