Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lopez235
Regular Visitor

Count columns that are non-null, non-blank, non-zero

I have survey data I work with that typically has about 50 columns or more. In the past, in Excel, I would add a column with the formula countifs(rng1,"<>",rng1,"<>0") and call this "Answered" (abrev: "Answ'd") as in how many items did the respondent answer. It feels like there should be a pretty efficient way of doing this in Power Query. I want to figure out the most efficient way of doing this in PQ because there are other transformation steps I perform prior to loading to the data model. I already figured out a couple of options. 1) I can reference my query then pivot/unpivot and perform a count and then merge both queries. But that seemed like one step too many and in the past I have sometimes experienced PQ refresh performance issues, depending on the size and source of my data. 2) I can replace all blanks and 0 values with nulls and then add a column this way (list.range used to exclude the first few columns):

= Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value2", "Answ'd", each List.NonNullCount(List.Range(Record.FieldValues(_),3)))

I'm guessing #2 is the most efficient way but curious if others have an even better way of doing this. I was envisioning meeting the requirement of counting all columns that are non-null, non-blank, non-zero with a single line of code (and that excludes the first few columns as above). Is that possible?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Personally, I would try the unpivot route first and try other methods if that didn't work efficiently.

If you go with a custom column, I'd do this to avoid the extra replacement step:

List.Count(List.Difference(List.Range(Record.FieldValues(_),3), {null, "", 0}))

View solution in original post

My apologies, took me a while to come back and fully test (we were short-staffed/recent turnover).  The solution you gave me was almost there. It wasn't counting correctly when it came across rows with nulls in all columns. But this is what I modified it to (added List.RemoveNulls).

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "NullBlankSpaceZero", each List.Count(List.RemoveNulls(List.Difference(List.Range(Record.FieldValues(_),2), {null, "", " ", 0}))))

note: there are some small differences from what I initially gave as an example that's why I adjusted field values and list diff compare list.

Thanks again! your reply set me on the right path

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Personally, I would try the unpivot route first and try other methods if that didn't work efficiently.

If you go with a custom column, I'd do this to avoid the extra replacement step:

List.Count(List.Difference(List.Range(Record.FieldValues(_),3), {null, "", 0}))

My apologies, took me a while to come back and fully test (we were short-staffed/recent turnover).  The solution you gave me was almost there. It wasn't counting correctly when it came across rows with nulls in all columns. But this is what I modified it to (added List.RemoveNulls).

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "NullBlankSpaceZero", each List.Count(List.RemoveNulls(List.Difference(List.Range(Record.FieldValues(_),2), {null, "", " ", 0}))))

note: there are some small differences from what I initially gave as an example that's why I adjusted field values and list diff compare list.

Thanks again! your reply set me on the right path

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors