Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Harrisonbeck
Frequent Visitor

Copy Data From One Query, Append to Another

I know how appending tables works, but that is not exaclty what I would like to do. Here's what I'm looking to do. 

1. Table A updates daily. 

2. I want to use a query to Copy all data from Table A and add it to the bottom of another table/query (TableB or QueryB). 

3. Table B will serve as a record of all data that has existed in Table A every time it refreshes.  

In Excel, this would basically be copying all rows in A and pasting in to B. I don't want to do this in excel or use VBA in excel in this instance. 

The way that this is different from an append is that that data from appended queries/tables will refresh in the new query/table every time the source data refreshes. I would like a record of the data from table A, not dynamic data. 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Harris 

4 REPLIES 4
psyche2k
Frequent Visitor

Hey @Harrisonbeck , did you get the solution to this problem?

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Harrisonbeck 

Power BI is not a database. It cannot store historically refreshed data into another table/query. Every refresh in Power BI is to reimport data from its datasources.

You need to backup Table A's data into another data source (database, excel file, csv file, ...) outside of Power BI. Then connect to this backup data source to get all data with Power Query. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Harrisonbeck , You do not need to copy, Just Click on table B and then use the append option in power query that should do. Make sure column names are same

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

@amitchandak I don't belive this is answering the question that I'm asking unless I misunderstand you. Can you be more specific on the steps you think will answer the question? 

If I append Table A to Table B, the data in table B will change whenever the data from the source (Table A) changes. What I want is static data to serve as a record of data that exists in Table A upon every refresh of Table A. 

Please let me know your thoughts, and please be specific in the steps if possible. "Append as New" or just "Append"?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors