Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

SClarke501
Frequent Visitor

Converting visible numbers to plain text

Bit of a strange one but I can't figure out how to do this in Power Query.

I have a column of decimal numbers, where I need to differentiate between things like 1.1 and 1.10 (1.10 wants to be treated as one point ten). Some of the numbers gathered from the data are also too long, i.e. "2.29999999" where I want it to just be 2.3.

I've actually managed to get the column into the format I want by mixing types of strings for 1.10 and decimal numbers for 1.1, rounding 2.2999999... to 2.3 etc.

Visually it is in the format I want, but I need to convert them all to strings to be used as columns. When I convert them to strings it converts 2.3 back into 2.29999999 etc.

Is there a way to convert this column to text, while keeping it as it visually is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SClarke501 ,

You can use Number.RroundUp() to convert 2.29999999 to 2.3.

vstephenmsft_0-1657176149507.png

And the new column can be changed to text type.

vstephenmsft_1-1657176253750.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SClarke501 ,

You can use Number.RroundUp() to convert 2.29999999 to 2.3.

vstephenmsft_0-1657176149507.png

And the new column can be changed to text type.

vstephenmsft_1-1657176253750.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ronrsnfld
Community Champion
Community Champion

For example, if you initially set your column to text (before doing any transformations), and your rule was that if the numbers after the decimal are in the set {1..12}, otherwise round to one digit, you could use this step in Power Query:

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",
        {"Column1", each if List.Contains(List.Transform(List.Numbers(1,12),each Text.From(_)),Text.Split(_,"."){1})
            then _ else Number.ToText(Number.FromText(_),"0.0")})
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Sounds like some floating point math stuff.  You can use fixed decimal or double precision, I'm not at my desk, but if you do your math at Value.Add/Multiply/etc. you can control the precision--check the docs here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/power-query-m-function-reference

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
ronrsnfld
Community Champion
Community Champion

What formula do you use to round 2.9999999 => 2.3 ???

Sorry, I meant 2.2999999

It's not clear to me what exact rules you use to determine whether to Round a number, or leave it as one or more digits.  However, I'd suggest initially setting the values to type text.  Then, using an IF clause to determine the type of rounding required for the digits after the decimal, then using Number.ToText(Number.From(_),"0.0")) (or "0.00") to create the appropriate text string.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors