Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoeyF

Converting a report to view associated data

I have created a report which has a series of tables to provide summary of data for various criteria. I now have a request to provide drill-downs for each of these so they can see the data used for the report. 

How can I do this? I am guessing a new table would be opened with this data which could then perhaps be exported to Excel if needed?

Operations Work Order KPI Report (monthly) - Power BI Desktop.png

1 REPLY 1
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @JoeyF ,

On each of these tables, go to the format bar and make sure that Visual Header is switched on, and at least 'More options icon' is also switched on:

BA_Pete_0-1633945306054.png

This will give the end user the option to click the ellipsis that appears over the table on mouse hover.

Within the ellipsis menu they will have an 'Export data' option that will allow them export summarised data (data as it appears in the table) to Excel.

To give the end users more detail, you will need to go into Options and Settings in your PBIX and enable exporting of underlying data:

BA_Pete_1-1633945483486.png

ALSO you will need to give each user Build permission on your report dataset in the Service once your report is published (think carefully about this).

If you don't want to give build permission to end users, you could create a hidden page in your PBIX that just contains a table with row-level data detail straight from your source table.

On this hidden page, put the measure(s) that feature in your summary tables into the Drillthrough fields section:

BA_Pete_2-1633945693106.png

This will give the users the option to carry over selected page filters onto the drillthrough page and thus see the underlying data that makes up the summaries.

Users can then export this detail table as summary data and still get all the detail in view.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors