Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hashiru
Helper I
Helper I

Convert a Column of Tables (After Merge Query Step) to a Column of list

Hi everyone,

I am trying to convert a column of tables on each row to a column of list on each row.

Convert Rows of Table to Rows of Lists.jpg

I will like to convert Time & Labor Column to List or add another column and convert the content each row in column Time & Labor to List. The altemate objective is to sum a numeric column from the table but values related from the many side after the merge

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Hashiru ,

were you able to solve the problem with any reply given?

If so, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

All the best

Jimmy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Hashiru 

you can use the function Table.ToRows that creates a simple nested list for every row. However, I would normaly prefer to use Table.ToRecords to get a list of records (contains column header) instead of list of lists (you will loose any header information)

Here an example that shows Table.ToRows

let
    Quelle = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSgeJYnWilJCALgkG8ZCALgmNjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ColumnA = _t, ColumnB = _t, ColumnC = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Quelle,{{"ColumnA", type text}, {"ColumnB", type text}, {"ColumnC", type text}}),
    ToRows = Table.ToRows(ChangedType)
in
    ToRows

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor to see how the solution works

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution.
Kudos are nice to - thanks
Have fun

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy801,

Thanks for the response, I will like to really sum the values in the column OU Num for where the codes in TRC Status column are WR, WO and WD. The total should be added to new column and included in all rows including the excluded criterium MC

SumAllButMC.png

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can transform the Time & Labor column with M code to the sum of the OU Num filtered on WR,WO and WD. The code below presumes that the prior step is called Merged Queries (change it as needed). 

= Table.TransformColumns(#"Merged Queries",{{"Time & Labor", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(_, each List.Contains({"WR","WO","WD"},[TRC Status] ))[OU Num]), type number}})

AThanks mcybulski 

I tested your proposed solution which is good but I lost the other columns needed for the solution. I was trying to use Table.AddColumn to add the column with the other columns of the sub tables then expand to the required columns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok then duplicate your column prior to transforming.

DupicateColumn= Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Time & Labor", "Time & Labor - Copy"),
Result= Table.TransformColumns( DupicateColumn,{{"Time & Labor", each List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(_, each List.Contains({"WR","WO","WD"},[TRC Status] ))[OU Num]), type number}})
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Hashiru 

don't get the connection with your initial request 🙂

However... `here a few questions

- is the other data in the table needed? Or do you need only to get the sum of if

- in case you need the whole table, where do you want to have the sum? In a new column in your main table?

Merry christmas also to you

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy801,

The whole table is needed and I am required to sum two columns. I will like to have the sum on a new column in the sub table, this way I can expand the required columns my analysis needed

Thanks

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Hashiru ,

were you able to solve the problem with any reply given?

If so, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

All the best

Jimmy

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Hashiru 

I don't know the second colum 🙂

but to sum the OU Num-Column of the sub-table Time and Labour add a new column (select the symbol in the program) and past in this code. This should do the trick

List.Sum([#"Time & Labour"][#"OU Num"])

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution.
Kudos are nice to - thanks
Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors