Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Convert String to Duration

Hi All,

I just wanted to ask for help on how to convert the Time to first response: Elapsed column, with type string, to duration by still containing the __h __m format?

pbiTrainee_0_0-1669213059828.png

The business users prefer to sort this column by still seeing the same format but can't since it is in string type. I tried doing things on my end but it is having errors as it does not display those with greater than 24h.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

=Duration.From(Expression.Evaluate(List.Accumulate({{"h","/24+0"},{"m","/1440"}},[#"Time to first response: Elapsed"],(x,y)=>Text.Replace(x,y{0},y{1}))))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

=Duration.From(Expression.Evaluate(List.Accumulate({{"h","/24+0"},{"m","/1440"}},[#"Time to first response: Elapsed"],(x,y)=>Text.Replace(x,y{0},y{1}))))

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can add a custom column in the query editor with this expression (replace ElapsedTime with your actual column name). Once that creates a duration column, it will convert to a decimal # when you load it. Take a look at this article for how to then calculate your measures and format it at the end to show as hours and minutes.

Calculate and Format Durations in DAX – Hoosier BI

=#duration(0, Number.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([ElapsedTime], "h")), Number.FromText(Text.BetweenDelimiters([ElapsedTime], " ", "m")), 0)

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors