Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deb_a

Convert SharePoint List Calculated column Formula to Power Query Custom Column

Hello Everyone,
I have a few SharePoint lists where I am using some calculated columns to get the monthly FTE of project assignments. Currently I have 1 column in the SharePoint list for every month of the year (e.g. Jan 2022, Feb 2022 and so on).
I would like to find a way to create these columns in the PowerBI Desktop instead of the SP lIst. Can any one please help me convert the below Sharepoint formula to Power Query Custom Column Formula. Below sample formula is used to calculate the FTE for Jan 2020. The below formula uses values from 3 other columns namely : "No. of hours", "Actual Start date", "Actual End date".

=(IFERROR(([No. of hours]/(IF(([Actual End date]-[Actual Start date]),([Actual End date]-[Actual Start date]),1)))*(DATE(2020,1,1)=MEDIAN(DATE(YEAR([Actual Start date]),MONTH([Actual Start date]),1),DATE(YEAR([Actual End date]),MONTH([Actual End date])+1,1)-1,DATE(2020,1,1)))*(IF([Actual End date]=[Actual Start date],1,(MIN([Actual End date],DATE(2020,1,31))-MAX([Actual Start date],DATE(2019,12,31))))),""))/170

Thanks in Advance.
2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @deb_a ,
this looks doable in Power Query.
But please format the code so I can understand the logic easier.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@deb_a That formula would almost perfectly translate to DAX. More difficult with Power Query but maybe someone like @ImkeF can assist.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors