Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Content pack dataset model refresh

Hi all,

I recently created a dataset using PowerBI Desktop and published to PowerBI. I created an Org Content Pack and shared it to multiple users within the organization.

This model is still under development and changes from time to time. So my question is, after users connect to my dataset through Org Content Pack and authored some reports and dashboards, whenever i make some changes to the dataset and publish back to the PowerBI site, will the users receive the latest changes?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

They will be presented a message for them to get the updated content pack. If they choose this, they will get your new content pack and keep their existing personalized version of the content pack.  Generally, content packs include data, reports and at least one dashboard.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See this article:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-intro...

Under "The life cycle of an organizational content pack", #5

"If Jane has not customized the original content pack, then the new changes are automatically applied. If Jane has customized the content pack, she receives a notification that there is a new version. She can navigate to the content pack library and get the updated content pack without losing her personalized version. She'll now have two versions: her personalized version and the updated content pack."

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler

Thanks for the reply. However, after users connected to my org content pack with the dataset, when they click on the dataset to begin authoring a report, a msg will immediately prompt asking them to Personalize the dataset. Only by clicking Personalize they could start using my dataset.

So I'm wondering, in this case, they have already personalize my dataset right? So when I push the updated dataset, will they also receive them automatically? Users have no rights to edit the content pack nor the dataset.

Kindly advise, thanks!

They will be presented a message for them to get the updated content pack. If they choose this, they will get your new content pack and keep their existing personalized version of the content pack.  Generally, content packs include data, reports and at least one dashboard.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors