Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Containerization of Orders Function

Hi All,

I am requesting help to build a function that assigns SKU's within Orders to a container. Each Order uses containers of a certain size which is determined in the Max Bin Qty. SKU Qty is the number of SKU's for that Order. The function should create a running sum for each Order and as that running sum exceeds the Max Bin Qty the running sum will reset to 0 for the next container. Please assume nothing and if you find yourself needing to assume anything please reach out and confirm that assumption! Thank you so much in advance! I know this one is not a typical request and appreciate the help. I've been trying to solve this myself for the last few weeks with bad results and late nights. 

Order (Function Input)SKU ID (Function Input)SKU Qty (Function Input)Max Bin Qty (Function Input)Container # (Function Output)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

if my understanding is correct, you can use this function on the order-level:  

// fnContainers
(Source, MaxBinQtyColName as text, SKUQtyColName as text ) => 
let
//Source = #"myTable (2)"{1}[Partition],
//MaxBinQtyColName = "Max Bin Qty (Function Input)",
//SKUQtyColName = "SKU Qty (Function Input)",
    MaxBinQty = List.First(Table.Column(Source, MaxBinQtyColName)),
    BufferedList = List.Buffer(Table.Column(Source, SKUQtyColName)),
    Output = List.Skip(List.Generate( () =>
                [RT = 0, Bin = 0, Counter = 0],
                each [Counter] <= List.Count(BufferedList),
                each [
                    RT = if  ( [RT] + BufferedList{[Counter]} ) > MaxBinQty then BufferedList{[Counter]} else [RT] + BufferedList{[Counter]} ,
                    Bin = if ( [RT] + BufferedList{[Counter]} ) > MaxBinQty then [Bin] + 1 else [Bin],
                    Counter = [Counter] + 1 
                ],
                each [Bin] + 1

))
in
    Output

To apply it, your code would look like so (also, see the attached file): 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwMFDSAVFgEkgYg1lKsTpwSSMoiVXSGKLTFCZphCxpApE0h0kagyWNkO00hdlriCwHsdIEq5w5hITJGSHLWUDchCQXCwA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Order (Function Input)" = _t, #"SKU ID (Function Input)" = _t, #"SKU Qty (Function Input)" = _t, #"Max Bin Qty (Function Input)" = _t, #"Container # (Function Output)" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Order (Function Input)", Int64.Type}, {"SKU ID (Function Input)", Int64.Type}, {"SKU Qty (Function Input)", Int64.Type}, {"Max Bin Qty (Function Input)", Int64.Type}, {"Container # (Function Output)", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Order (Function Input)"}, {{"Partition", each _}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Container", each fnContainers([Partition], "Max Bin Qty (Function Input)", "SKU Qty (Function Input)")),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(  #"Invoked Custom Function", 
                                        "Result", 
                                        each Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns([Partition]) & {[Container]}, Table.ColumnNames([Partition]) & {"Container"})),
    Custom1 = Table.Combine(#"Added Custom"[Result])
in
    Custom1

This technique should also work fairly fast on large tables.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors