Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vladimir2095
Regular Visitor

Connection to BigQuery

Hello everyone,

I can connect to the BigQuery database but I can't see my datasets. I'm not experienced with Big Query, so maybe I need to enable something. I just don't know what isn't working here.

There's nothing in PowerBI in the right database:

Does someone know where does the problem come from?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vladimir2095,

How do you get the dataset? Is it shared by other user?If so, I would recommend you create a ODBC data source for BigQuery, then use ODBC connector in Power BI Desktop and write SQL statement in the connector to check if you can successfully import data from the shared dataset.

There is a similar blog for your reference.
https://cloud.google.com/blog/big-data/2016/11/how-to-connect-bigquery-to-microsoft-excel-and-other-...

Regards,

Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@vladimir2095,

Are you able to view tables and select data under the bigquery-public-data project?

Based on your first screenshot, it seems that you don't have any projects under "My Project", please follow the guide in this article to create your own projects and check if the projects appear in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia,

I can indeed view the tables and select data under the bigquery-publid-data project, but it doesn't seem to be the same data that I have in Big Query window.

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG.

What I would like to see is the tme-chrome dataset, but I can't. Does it need to be under My Project?

Thank you for your help

@vladimir2095,

How do you get the dataset? Is it shared by other user?If so, I would recommend you create a ODBC data source for BigQuery, then use ODBC connector in Power BI Desktop and write SQL statement in the connector to check if you can successfully import data from the shared dataset.

There is a similar blog for your reference.
https://cloud.google.com/blog/big-data/2016/11/how-to-connect-bigquery-to-microsoft-excel-and-other-...

Regards,

Lydia

Yes the dataset is shared by an other user. I also tried to use an ODBC data source for Big Query but it doesn't seem to work either:

@vladimir2095

When you create dsn, have you tested connection successfully? I would recommend you follow the guide in the article below.

www.simba.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Simba-BigQuery-ODBC-Driver-Quickstart2.pdf

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

I didn't know I had to create a dsn sorry.

I created one now and I can connect to the Big Query account.

The problem is that can't select the shared database (tme-chrome):

Capture.JPG

Capture5.JPG

It works!

I added the name of the shared dataset in Advanced options and it worked!

Thank you for your help!

Hi @vladimir2095 , can I ask how did you add the name of the dataset in Advanced options? I tried adding it there in the "Additional Projects" field, and I don't see it populated for me to select. Could you please guide me?

Hi! Just write the name of the project without ID in the field "Additional Projects" - https://prnt.sc/spksfa (for example, "the-chrome"), press OK-OK. Go to PBI, press "Get data", connect to "Other", "ODBC". In the popup select "Default or custom" and press "Connect" - https://prnt.sc/spkrb4. It helped me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors