Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smurakam0201
Frequent Visitor

Connection from Folder, but want to Unpivot before Combine with different time period Header

I have multiple files in one folder.

Same sturucture but different time period as header.

What I want to do is Unpivot each file and flatten, then combine. Image is like below.

(Extremely simlifided example)

book1.jpg

book2.jpg

book3.jpg

Goal

consolidated.jpg

Because of other restrictions, I want to keep original individual excel data as non-table.

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Right, so use a Folder query and in that folder query you can do your unpivot operations on an example/sample file and it will then perform those operations on all files and then append everything together.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Greg, thank you for you comments about un-pivot and combine when using get data with a folder.  I am not able to make this work in the situation described in this thread by smurakam0201.  If all three files had identical column headers this would be a piece of cake.  However, because the headers in columns B, C, and D are different in each file,  if I perform the un-pivot with the data as it is first imported, the headers are Column1, Column2, Column3... and the un-pivot yeilds meaningless data.  If I promote the first row to the header, then it works perfectly on the sample file but fails on the other two files as it is looking for a column header that doesn't exist in the other two files.  This is a very common need for anyone doing forecasting in which each month a new file is produced with the same number of columns but with the YrMonth column headers shifting by one month in each file (dropping the oldest month and adding the newest).  Any help you can provide to solve this would be greatly apreciated!

I found a very simple solution that works perfectly.  Thought I'd share it with others who are trying to resolve this delima... https://youtu.be/tpK_xklbDf0 

This is a solution to the proposed problem. I also used this method to unpivot tables before expanding the combined files. Very elegant.

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your answer.

But what is 'Folder query'?

The original file is Excle 'Sheet' (Not force to convcert this to 'table' at this point).

And I need to add columns with below procedure.

Go to the Add Column tab → Add Custom Column Enter the following formula: =Excel.Workbook([Content]) Click OK

to expand the contents, then I am seeing missalighend headers.

If you have time, could you guide bit more in detail?

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

Thnaks,

Shin

Hi @smurakam0201 , 

If your each table is same structure like below

618.PNG

You could try to follow below steps. You could connect to folder , choose corresponding folder and click "combine and transform"

617.PNG

Then change something in function like below(prompt header and delete change type, choose the name column and click unpivot columns), then change this in invoked table to delete change type

619.PNG620.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the suggesiton.

I tried that at first. But It returens the error as below.

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

As I mentioned initially,I don't want to convert 'Range' to 'Table' as starting point, because users want to keep filters and formats as curernt excel functions.

Keeping Excel Sheet and Combine, I followed to add custome column to avoid thi serror, then Transform before Combine is gone.

That is the conflict and my strugle.

textbook.jpg

FYI)

My versoin's screen.

screenbyversion.jpg

I want to confirm one more thing with your sugestion (Probably converting range to table works??).

I need to prepare 'sample' excel in same folder with 'Full Range of time period' on header.  Corect??

Thanks,

Shin

Hi @smurakam0201 , 

Where did this error occur in steps of first image? Did this cuase by other file (like .txt or other file which not excel)? If so, you could filter it in invoked table like below to see whether it work or not

621.PNG

If this doesn't work, you could upload your excel files(you could use virtual data  instead of real data). Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI Zoe,

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, the company policy does not allow to use dropbox or google drive and I cannot attach any file from current environment.

My private PC does not have MS applications, but I will think some workaround.

Takes some time though. 

Regards,

Shin

All,

I tried couple of things and here is a summary of my findings.

1.  Change each file's range to table.

2.  Create sample file with FULL lit of other file's header (My case this is time period header)

Then Combine and transform worked.

Trials failed were

1. Using normal sheet without converting range to Table

2. Using other file as sample which does not have FULL list of time horizon in header.

I will consider these preparation is reasonable for existing users or not.

Still waiting some better idea, without changing Excel file/sheet itself.

Thank you,

Shin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors