Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

twin
Frequent Visitor

Connection and daily updates

Hi

I have a folder with files, folder has updates with new files daily which has raw data.

After I updated one of the file such as power editing and visualzing the data.

What is the process of connection to raw data and upated the Power BI daily?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @twin ,

This is potentially a very large topic, so I'll give you a very brief outline of the general process.

1) Put your files in an always-accessible storage location (network folder, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint etc.)

2) If you use a network folder, you will need to set up an Enterprise Gateway for the PBI service to access the network. For Microsoft-universe locations, a gateway isn't necessary.

3) Use Power BI Desktop to connect to your data. Use a folder connector to connect to your storage location and either filter the file list in PBI desktop to get the most recent version of each file, or use the Combine & Transform function to just grab everything in the folder and append it into a single query.

4) Do your transformations and send your query(ies) to the data model.

5) Create your report and Publish to the PBI Service

6) In the PBI Service, find the dataset for your newly-published report, click the ellipsis next to its name and hit 'Settings'

7) If you're using a storage location that requires a Gateway, go to the Gateway section of the settings and either map an existing source on your gateway to your report, or use 'Add to Gateway' to create a new gateway source to use

8 ) Go to the Scheduled Refresh section and set the days/times that you want the dataset to refresh

9) Done

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
twin
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Pete. I will work with our IT team.

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @twin ,

This is potentially a very large topic, so I'll give you a very brief outline of the general process.

1) Put your files in an always-accessible storage location (network folder, OneDrive for Business, SharePoint etc.)

2) If you use a network folder, you will need to set up an Enterprise Gateway for the PBI service to access the network. For Microsoft-universe locations, a gateway isn't necessary.

3) Use Power BI Desktop to connect to your data. Use a folder connector to connect to your storage location and either filter the file list in PBI desktop to get the most recent version of each file, or use the Combine & Transform function to just grab everything in the folder and append it into a single query.

4) Do your transformations and send your query(ies) to the data model.

5) Create your report and Publish to the PBI Service

6) In the PBI Service, find the dataset for your newly-published report, click the ellipsis next to its name and hit 'Settings'

7) If you're using a storage location that requires a Gateway, go to the Gateway section of the settings and either map an existing source on your gateway to your report, or use 'Add to Gateway' to create a new gateway source to use

8 ) Go to the Scheduled Refresh section and set the days/times that you want the dataset to refresh

9) Done

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors