Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GuySev
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connecting to other PBI file

Hi all,

I came across an issue and was wondering if anyone has encountered with the same problem.

I've built several reports, connecting to multiple data sources (SQL Server, MySQL, Google Analytics and more).

The MySQL DB is very big, and since PBI does not yet support direct query with MySQL, I have to download tens of millions of rows into my model.

I was wondering if I could manage the MySQL data on a separate report, where I will download the data once in a while, and connect my existing reports to that file, as a direct data source. I have tried the "Power BI Service", but it doesn't allow multiple data connections.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@GuySev,

It is not possible to connect to Power BI Service dataset and other data sources in a single Power BI Desktop file. In your scenario, I would recommend you write specific SQL statement to get required rows and columns from MySQL database.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yuezhe-msft, unfortunately I already tried this but my data is still too big. I guess for now I will split my report into smaller pieces of different files.

@GuySev,

Yes. The workaround is to split the report to different reports. Or you can migrate data from MySQL to other database source like SQL Server or Oracle, then use DirectQuery mode.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors