Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mauropasi
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connecting to existing datasets

Has anybody been able to connect to an existing dataset?

I have succeded in getting data to the Desktop application using an OleDb connector but then the service refuses to authenticate so I can't keep the report updated.

Any help is appreciated here.

2 REPLIES 2
eskyline
Resolver I
Resolver I

Mauropasi,

Are you using the on premisis data gateway?  Since you say the service refuses to authenticate are you seeing the error when you are creating the connection in "Manage Gateways"?  I'd be sure I'm using the same credentials when defining the connection in Manage Gateways as I'd used when I connected to the data in the Power BI Desktop.  If all else failed I'd start by making sure whatever user I did chose to use in the connection had the highest priveledges possible on the database to start.  If I got things working then I'd like it back.  I'd also check the gateway logs.  There are two logs that it creates on the system where it is installed.  One is config type data but the other is actual query request type data so thats the one I'd look for.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mauropasi,

It seems you want to refresh OLEDB dataset published in the service, right?

As the OLEDB is a on-premise data source which requires gateway to build connection between the Power BI service and data source. You can install the personal gateway on the server which hosts the OLEDB data source, then configure the dataset to use this personal gateway. For more information, see: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors