Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FrankZappasMama
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to a Sharepoint Form Library

Folks,

We have approx 15,000 xml forms (85 datapoints each) in a Sharepoint Form Library that we have (up until this point) bounced out into Excel and done the data analysis, dashboarding etc. I'd like to cut out excel and make the same dashboard in Power BI connecting directly to the source. I've been able to recreate the dashboard using local excel files but I'm having trouble connecting to the source directly in Power BI Desktop.

I've spent some hours surfing around these forums and with that help I'm able to connect to various levels in the Sharepoint URL as Sharepoint List However, at none of those levels can I find the entire Form Library. I can only find a bunch of ancillary tables that are used to set values in the xml forms.

The only way I can get any data through is to connect as a Web object by pasting in the URL from a library "view" and it will pull what's in the browser frame. These URLs end in *.aspx However, it'll only pull the first 100 rows....this makes sense because the "view" is breaking the dataset into 100 row lots to save load time.

I want to connect directly to the library, without having to use the "views" on the data via Sharepoint. That seems like a superfluous step. Isn't there a database behind there with all the raw data I should be able to connect too?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @FrankZappasMama,

I am afraid that you are not able to directly connect to SharePoint Form Library in Power BI Desktop, an idea about this issue has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

In your scenario, as a workaround, push data to Excel firstly and then connect to the Excel file in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors