Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Layorzi Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to a DB that refreshes

Hi all,

I will simply describe the situation:
I have a website that gets information once a day (updates at midnight).
I want my Power BI to update the data it contains every day, while keeping the editions i made, the measures i wrote and the calculated columns.
Even if it is only possible for me every day to manually download the data and create a new table but the measures, columns and editions will be saved.

Is there any manual? or any way to do it?

Regards, 

Layor.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Connecting to a DB that refreshes

@Layorzi in power bi desktop or service when you do Refresh either manually or scheduled your data model is preserved ( ie all your tables columns and measures) only data is refreshed. It is full refresh that is all your data will be replaced with what's in data source.
Super User
Super User

@Layorzi I would suggest you think of this in two steps.

1) Write your website data to a "location" (this could be database table, excel spreadsheet, flat file, etc)

2) Build your business logic in Power BI Desktop

This approach allows you to keep your data seperate and append your new data into a file/table. Then, all you would need to do in Power BI is schedule a refresh which would include the new data.

All your business logic - measures/calc columns will stay the same, and the underlying data will change per your process.

Keeping your data seperate also allows you to access your data via other tools if you need to in the future.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Layorzi in power bi desktop or service when you do Refresh either manually or scheduled your data model is preserved ( ie all your tables columns and measures) only data is refreshed. It is full refresh that is all your data will be replaced with what's in data source.
Super User
Super User

@Layorzi I would suggest you think of this in two steps.

1) Write your website data to a "location" (this could be database table, excel spreadsheet, flat file, etc)

2) Build your business logic in Power BI Desktop

This approach allows you to keep your data seperate and append your new data into a file/table. Then, all you would need to do in Power BI is schedule a refresh which would include the new data.

All your business logic - measures/calc columns will stay the same, and the underlying data will change per your process.

Keeping your data seperate also allows you to access your data via other tools if you need to in the future.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Layorzi Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys!

Thank you very much for the help.
What i did eventually was to go to Edit Query.
Then go to the first step --> Source.
Double click and add the new page (in my case it is ok, i do it manually once a week).
And everything is stored!

Once again, Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 314 members 3,425 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: