Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting to SQLite db stored in sharepoint

Hi,

I'm able to connect to an sqlite.db file stored on my PC, but I don't seem to be able to connect to the the same db if stored on a sharepoint folder. I tried to simply replace the C:\ path with the url. I tried to connect to sharepoint folder and select the file from there, but I still miss that kind of database= string. I have permissions to the site and use my windows credentials for authentication (connecting to any other file works). Am I missing any steps?

Anotação 2020-06-12 173214.png

Thanks,

Pietro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

You cannot. SharePoint libraries do not behave the same as local drives or network shares. Same with Access databases. Access cannot even open its own MDB/ACCDB files in SharePoint. They have to be sync'd locally. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and a few others, have been modified to open files directly on SharePoint.

Even Power BI cannot open PBIX files stored in SharePoint - you have to have them local. So your SQL Lite database must be on a local drive to work, and you'll need a gateway to connect to it from the service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

You cannot. SharePoint libraries do not behave the same as local drives or network shares. Same with Access databases. Access cannot even open its own MDB/ACCDB files in SharePoint. They have to be sync'd locally. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and a few others, have been modified to open files directly on SharePoint.

Even Power BI cannot open PBIX files stored in SharePoint - you have to have them local. So your SQL Lite database must be on a local drive to work, and you'll need a gateway to connect to it from the service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

File based Databases need to be writable. That includes SQLite and Access (which even comes with its own lock files).

You _might_ be able to get your data by explicitly open the SQLite database read only via an ODBC driver.  Haven't tried this though.

Another alternative is to use the Folder connector (NOT the Sharepoint Folder connector) and use the UNC path to your sharepoint folder instead, like \\sharepoint.url\site\folder\db.sqlite .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors