Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matt_H_Clam
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to SQL Server issue

I have started a new role and have been given some credentials for an SQL server (hosted i think)

I can ping the server and i can rdp onto it using the server name and windows authentication 

What I cant do is to connect with Power Query, any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All, thanks for your contributions.

To close this thread down I think the DBA had given me incorrect credentials/authentication method.

I looked myself in the users list in SQL server (when i rdp'd onto it) and found a read-only account used by the finance team for some of their sprerdsheets so I used that account and used database authentication and bingo, i'm in.

Cheers

Matt

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Matt_H_Clam 

What sort of error mesage are you getting while trying to connect ?
Select the right  type of authentication : Organizational, Windows  . . . 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

All, thanks for your contributions.

To close this thread down I think the DBA had given me incorrect credentials/authentication method.

I looked myself in the users list in SQL server (when i rdp'd onto it) and found a read-only account used by the finance team for some of their sprerdsheets so I used that account and used database authentication and bingo, i'm in.

Cheers

Matt

Hi, Im using Windows authentication and get the message "We couldnt authenticate with the credentials provided"

I can rdp onto the server and open management studio, I can see the user in the list in there

Hi @Matt_H_Clam ,

For windows auth, try using <domain_name>\<username> as the username if you're not already doing so.

Kind regards,

Rohit

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Appreciate your kudos! 🙂

@Matt_H_Clam 

Under Data Source Setting in Power BI, clear the connection and credentials and connect to SQL and renter the servername and credentials and try. 

If you have DBA, get it checked

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors