Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cheezee
Regular Visitor

Connecting to ODBC Datasource using SQL Statement

Hello guys,

I'm trying to connect to an Oracle database (that has over 300,000 objects within a certain schema) by using an ODBC connector. Reason being, the Oracle database is hosted in a UNIX environment and I am connecting to it from Windows Server.

Please, how can I connect to a table/view that is not listed within the first 10,000 preview results in the Navigator window, say by querying the exact table using a SQL statement? 

Alternatively, is there any other method of connecting to this table  (using Blank Query, for example)?

Any answer at all will be appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@cheezee,

Option1:

Write SQL statement in Power BI Desktop.
1.PNG

Option2:

Add a blank query in Power BI Desktop, paste the following code into Advanced Editor of the blank query.

let
    Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=yourdsn", "Select * from yourtable")
in
    Source

2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@cheezee,

Option1:

Write SQL statement in Power BI Desktop.
1.PNG

Option2:

Add a blank query in Power BI Desktop, paste the following code into Advanced Editor of the blank query.

let
    Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=yourdsn", "Select * from yourtable")
in
    Source

2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia,

I'll try this out and see how it goes. I believe this should solve my problem. Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors