Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RSQ2

Connecting to ODBC Data Source through VPN with Data Gateway

I use the Data Gateway for multiple connections, using ODBC, Azure SQL Server, etc.  I now have a data source that is an ODBC connection that I must VPN to from the machine with the Gateway on it.  I can manually connect to the VPN from the Gateway machine and get a successful connection to the ODBC data source.  However, when I go to PowerBI Service online and add the Gateway connection, using anonymous credentials just as I do on the local machine, I get an invalid credentials error message:

Activity ID:	4c584074-0baf-440a-84b4-baa257bb3069
Request ID:	b21471ac-75e4-74ee-18bf-4bc055261bbd
Cluster URI:	https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:	400
Error Code:	DMTS_UpdateClusterDatasourceCredentialsErrorCode
Time:	Thu May 09 2019 10:58:05 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version:	13.0.9340.155
ITServices:	Invalid connection credentials.
Underlying error code:	-2147467259
Underlying error message:	The credentials provided for the Odbc source are invalid. (Source at dsn=CabellDW.)
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:	-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourceKind:	Odbc
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourcePath:	dsn=CabellDW
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.Reason:	AccessUnauthorized
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.DataSources:	[{"kind":"Odbc","path":"dsn=CabellDW"}]
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason:	AccessUnauthorized

The data source requires that I set up the credentials in the windows credentials manager and then leave credentials blank on the ODBC setup.  Again, it works from server machine that has the Gateway on it.  But PowerBI Service online fails when trying to utilize the Gateway to connect.  I hope this makes sense.  I'm lost.  Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RSQ2 

First please ensure your gateway has access to your data source, and please don’t install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

Secondly, when configuring datasource under gateway, please use the same authetication used in Power BI Desktop.

Lastly, If steps above doesn't solve the problem,

please check the DSN in ODBC administrator, solution from this similar thread should be useful for this scenario.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors