Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamFosterSCL
Frequent Visitor

Connecting Power BI with an Azure SQL Server Database

Hello,

I am currently trying to connect an Azure SQL Server Database to Power BI.

I have put in the correct server name and I am using the log in details for the DB however it is not connecting.

Any Help? Am I using the correct credentials, are there other credentials I should be using?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SamFosterSCL,

Do you use latest verison of Power BI Desktop? In your scenario, do you install SSMS on the same machine that has Power BI Desktop installed? If not, except the “allow access to Azure services” setting, please ensure that you have set up a firewall rule to allow Power BI Desktop to make a connection to Azure SQL.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you modified the Azure SQL Db firewall settings to allow connections from your pc to the database?

(Have you tried connectiong to the db with Managment Studio for instance?)

When you first start designing a report on PowerBI Desktop you need to establish the connection from your pc to Azure SQL DB.

You also need to set the firewall settings to allow access to Azure services.

After that your report should connect just fine.

I have connected fine to Management Studio, just wondering why Power BI wont work.

Hi @SamFosterSCL,

I am able to connect to Azure SQL database in the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.42.4611.901). What error message do you get when you connect to  your Azure SQL database?

In your scenario, if you have ever connected to Azure SQL database in Power BI Desktop, I would recommend you go to “File –> Options and Settings –> Data Source Settings”, under “Global permissions”, select any old Azure SQL data source connections and click on clear permission. Then re-connect to Azure SQL database from Desktop,  also enter database name during the connection.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I get the error message 'User Not Authorised'. I am putting in the credentials of the database.

Hi @SamFosterSCL,

Could you please post a screenshot about your sceanrio? And do you enter a SQL login and password?

In addition, do you use latest verison of Power BI Desktop? And have you deleted old Azure SQL data sources?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

It asks for either a Database log in or a Windows one.

I get the error 'User Not Authorised'

Hi @SamFosterSCL,

Could you please post a screenshot about your sceanrio? And do you enter a SQL login and password?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 11.45.20.png

This is the error message I receive when logging into the Azure DB with the correct DB details.

Hi @SamFosterSCL,

Do you use latest verison of Power BI Desktop? In your scenario, do you install SSMS on the same machine that has Power BI Desktop installed? If not, except the “allow access to Azure services” setting, please ensure that you have set up a firewall rule to allow Power BI Desktop to make a connection to Azure SQL.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi,

I needed to let my firewall in azure accept the VM's IP Address I was on.

Thanks for all the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors